sexyrealsexdolls.com

Silicone Doll seam lines

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to not specifically listed Silicone Dolls
garriola83
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Silicone Doll seam lines

Post by garriola83 »

So I see a lot of seam lines still visible in plenty if not ALL silicone dolls sold here. For TPE, you can simply solder it down but silicone is much different.
Can it be further removed like they do with many silicone movie props?
This for example, it shows how to remove flash seams, and patch them up and texture it again delicately with a brush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByV88zLJc7g

If you paying $4K+ for a doll and you see that seam, it would take you out of the experience. For $4K+, I'd like to see it well polished.
These companies can learn a thing or two from these Hollywood SFX guys.

Mr Consistency

Re: Silicone Doll seam lines

Post by Mr Consistency »

I suppose they could offer it as another option. But, there's certainly going to be a corresponding cost for such a time-consuming effort.

I can't imagine it would be easy to do a DIY on one of those special makeup deals. Would be better off getting it done at the factory before they add the detailing I should think.

garriola83
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by garriola83 »

Mr Consistency wrote:I suppose they could offer it as another option. But, there's certainly going to be a corresponding cost for such a time-consuming effort.

I can't imagine it would be easy to do a DIY on one of those special makeup deals. Would be better off getting it done at the factory before they add the detailing I should think.
With how much time a lot of these dolls are made, I'd like for them to add that to the polishing part of making a very expensive doll. Seam lines on dolls seems like a cheap feature to me.

HornedPear

Post by HornedPear »

Some of the higher end silicone manufacturers, like Abyss, will use cuticle scissors to smooth out the seem lines a bit. You can see an example of this in the video below. Even that step is quite time consuming.

Seem trimming starts at 4:29

You could make a special request to have the seem lines patched but that will likely add an enormous cost to the doll (expect several thousand dollars) due to how labor intensive it is. I don't really notice the seem lines on my dolls, it's one of those things the brain seems to filter out for me. But everyone is different and you aren't the only one bothered by seem lines.

Colonel Angus
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Colonel Angus »

Mr Consistency wrote:I suppose they could offer it as another option. But, there's certainly going to be a corresponding cost for such a time-consuming effort.

Wholeheartedly agree. You could have the most convincingly human looking gal ever, only to have it ruined by that obnoxious seam running the length of it.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Seam lines are often more visually perceptible in photos than on person. At least in my experience with the 7 different silicone doll bodies (5 abyss, 2 PIB) that have been through my home in the last 5 years. None of them had prominent seams but if you are looking for them, you will see them. As far as what I see in person, I view as part of the doll or woman for that matter. Would you not be attracted to a women who has a scar, pigmentation differences in her skin or beauty marks? It's all how you view whatever it is. Personally, I find cheap/low quality wigs that do not look like hair to be more distracting than a skin imperfection.

I am not sure I understand,
if you paying $4K+ for a doll and you see that seam, it would take you out of the experience.
When you are being intimate with your doll, are you looking at her seams? What if she develops a finger poke or a tear to an orifice that needs repairing, will that "take you out of it?"

Are those commenting speaking from experience? Just curious.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

djcdoll
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by djcdoll »

TJ_Foxx wrote:Seam lines are often more visually perceptible in photos than on person. At least in my experience with the 7 different silicone doll bodies (5 abyss, 2 PIB) that have been through my home in the last 5 years. None of them had prominent seams but if you are looking for them, you will see them. As far as what I see in person, I view as part of the doll or woman for that matter. Would you not be attracted to a women who has a scar, pigmentation differences in her skin or beauty marks? It's all how you view whatever it is. Personally, I find cheap/low quality wigs that do not look like hair to be more distracting than a skin imperfection.

if you paying $4K+ for a doll and you see that seam, it would take you out of the experience.
When you are being intimate with your doll, are you looking at her seams? What if she develops a finger poke or a tear to an orifice that needs repairing, will that "take you out of it?"

I agree 100% with you, TJ_Foxx. :thumbs_up:

I own both a TPE doll (Tiffany) and a Silicone RealDoll (Dani).
My RealDoll Dani does have a seam but you can hardly see it at all.
Any seam that is visible closeup is more than made up for by the very high quality of her body sculpt.

The seams can be useful too when looking at some of the best doll photos.
e.g. in the fantastic RealDoll photos taken by the superb Stacy Leigh, sometimes spotting the seam is the only way you can tell that the subject is a doll and not a human model. :D

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

I’m sorry, but seams are par for the course.

Colonel Angus
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Colonel Angus »

TJ_Foxx wrote:Seam lines are often more visually perceptible in photos than on person. At least in my experience with the 7 different silicone doll bodies (5 abyss, 2 PIB) that have been through my home in the last 5 years. None of them had prominent seams but if you are looking for them, you will see them. As far as what I see in person, I view as part of the doll or woman for that matter. Would you not be attracted to a women who has a scar, pigmentation differences in her skin or beauty marks? It's all how you view whatever it is. Personally, I find cheap/low quality wigs that do not look like hair to be more distracting than a skin imperfection.

My experience is what my eyes tell me from looking at thousands of images. And contrary to what some say, if you see it clearly in a photo, you will definitely see it in person. And, as far as comparing a seam that runs from head to toe, inside the legs and out, to a scar or beauty mark, you couldn't be further from the mark, pun intended. An irregular blemish, scattered here or there would actually add to the illusion of reality, not detract, something many manufacturers could stand to learn with their tendency to create pristine, perfectly complected, absolutely symmetrical, idealized facsimiles of the human body. The seam, on the other hand, is just a reminder, a rather lengthy one, that what you are seeing and touching is fabricated. The removal or reduction of the seam isn't impossible, it's just one of the numerous faults that is commonly accepted as par for the course. But, every critical voice, if echoed enough, will eventually lead to a change, one for the better. So many folks in this community seem either content with what they are given, or so defeated, that they just stop demanding more, or better. And, guess what, companies love that. It means they don't have to innovate, spend time or money researching new techniques, etc, etc. Just an extra couple of cents I had to throw out there.

garriola83
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by garriola83 »

stacy718 wrote:I’m sorry, but seams are par for the course.
Hard disagree. From my experience making digital humans for years, seams that break the illusion is unacceptable. For dolls that are solid and tangible, that breaks the illusion even more.

garriola83
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by garriola83 »

Colonel Angus wrote:

My experience is what my eyes tell me from looking at thousands of images. And contrary to what some say, if you see it clearly in a photo, you will definitely see it in person. And, as far as comparing a seam that runs from head to toe, inside the legs and out, to a scar or beauty mark, you couldn't be further from the mark, pun intended. An irregular blemish, scattered here or there would actually add to the illusion of reality, not detract, something many manufacturers could stand to learn with their tendency to create pristine, perfectly complected, absolutely symmetrical, idealized facsimiles of the human body. The seam, on the other hand, is just a reminder, a rather lengthy one, that what you are seeing and touching is fabricated. The removal or reduction of the seam isn't impossible, it's just one of the numerous faults that is commonly accepted as par for the course. But, every critical voice, if echoed enough, will eventually lead to a change, one for the better. So many folks in this community seem either content with what they are given, or so defeated, that they just stop demanding more, or better. And, guess what, companies love that. It means they don't have to innovate, spend time or money researching new techniques, etc, etc. Just an extra couple of cents I had to throw out there.
I agree with all this. Seems like people just accept it just like they accept bad LHP placement, cuz they have no choice. And it becomes the new normal.

HornedPear

Post by HornedPear »

If your basing your complaints based on what you see in photos only, I don't believe they hold much credibility. From my own experience, there is a very big difference between what bothered me in photos of dolls and what actually bothers me now that I own dolls. My most irritating experience with dolls is when a joint is either too tight or too loose or when the eyes are difficult to move into a specific position. These are not things you can ever determine from photos of a doll.

On the other hand, things like seems and LHP are very noticeable in photos but I couldn't care less about either when I actually have the doll. I can't even see the seem lines unless I make a conscious effort to look at them. And when I'm fucking my doll, I'm not thinking "Damn, I sure wish this pussy was an inch or two lower".

Based on my experience with dolls, I would much rather manufacturers focus on the quality of the skeleton and the realism and movement of the eyes than seem lines and LHP. I don't want manufacturers to focus on things that people that only look at photos complain about.

garriola83
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by garriola83 »

HornedPear wrote:If your basing your complaints based on what you see in photos only, I don't believe they hold much credibility. From my own experience, there is a very big difference between what bothered me in photos of dolls and what actually bothers me now that I own dolls. My most irritating experience with dolls is when a joint is either too tight or too loose or when the eyes are difficult to move into a specific position. These are not things you can ever determine from photos of a doll.

On the other hand, things like seems and LHP are very noticeable in photos but I couldn't care less about either when I actually have the doll. I can't even see the seem lines unless I make a conscious effort to look at them. And when I'm fucking my doll, I'm not thinking "Damn, I sure wish this pussy was an inch or two lower".

Based on my experience with dolls, I would much rather manufacturers focus on the quality of the skeleton and the realism and movement of the eyes than seem lines and LHP. I don't want manufacturers to focus on things that people that only look at photos complain about.
I had a TPE doll that had a seam on the left leg, pretty obvious too. Barely used and sold it. Bought a cheaper TPE with no seams, it's my go to doll.

Just because it's a concern for you doesn't mean it's not real for other people. It makes me physically cringe when I see it first hand. I can only imagine it on a high end doll.

And as for other concerns for dolls, why can't we have have a good skeleton, proper LHP and no seams all at the same time? They are not mutually exclusive. And to say that manufacturers can only focus one thing at a time is not a good enough excuse. We know they are cutting corners and they know it too.

PDutus
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by PDutus »

I have three TPE dolls (2 JY and 1 WM) and one silicone, a Sino. The seams are hardly noticeable on the TPE girls, but the Sino is a different story. And the standard of finish (i.e. degree of obviousness) of the seams on the Sino is variable. I can't compare her to other silicone dolls in the same price bracket, but if I were paying upwards of $4,000 for one on the higher end ones, I'd expect less obvious seams.

I've got used to the seams on my Sino and they don't detract from the enjoyment I get from her. Tights or socks disguise the worst seams (ankle/foot area) and if I want to go to the effort, I can edit them out of photos. But certainly, the quality of the seams on a silicone doll is one of the first things I look at. I don't believe it can be that hard to make them less obvious, even if it's not possible to obliterate them completely. It could be a cost option, but it couldn't be an expensive cost option.

Finally, I agree with the Colonel that small blemishes or marks in the silicone/TPE actually add to the illusion of reality. If one of my dolls arrives with such a blemish, I make up a backstory about the accident she had that gave her the scar :)
My girls:
Sophie - JY 175 (JY Head #167)
Valentina - JY 175 (JY Head #101)
Kiania - Sino 161 (Heads S6 & S7)
Rashona - WM 172B (WM Head #64)
Helga - JY 166 (JY head #101)
Patsy - JY 166 (JY Head #102)
Ingrid - JY 166 (SM Head #76)
Monique - JY 165SR (JY Head #134)

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

garriola83 wrote:So I see a lot of seam lines still visible in plenty if not ALL silicone dolls sold here. For TPE, you can simply solder it down but silicone is much different.
Can it be further removed like they do with many silicone movie props?
This for example, it shows how to remove flash seams, and patch them up and texture it again delicately with a brush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByV88zLJc7g

If you paying $4K+ for a doll and you see that seam, it would take you out of the experience. For $4K+, I'd like to see it well polished.
These companies can learn a thing or two from these Hollywood SFX guys.
I can tolerate seam lines to a degree depending on the doll and the location of the seam, but yeah, as the price goes up, the less tolerant I become of sloppy workmanship.... :whistle:

INFORMATIONS