Silicon mods

Got an idea? Need an invention?
zaxdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Silicon mods

Post by zaxdoll »

Hello everyone,

i'm in search of a way to create mods that can be permanently glued to a doll.
For example:
- animal ears
- tail
- etc...
After some few search, i found 2 major possibilities (that don't require full silicon processing plant :P) :
- sculpting a bigger piece into the shape then glue it
- creating a mold in another material then use liquid silicon to fill to the desired form

This is an open discussion and i'm open to any idea, if possible even some manufacturers comments of course :)

Thanks.

zaxdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Silicon mods

Post by zaxdoll »

Many thanks for your answer and your advice, i'll go hunt and read :)

I don't really mind the furry aspect, what i really look for it the ears and tail ;)

I was aware for permatex, and i was even wondering to ask the manufacturer of my dolls to sell me raw brick os silicon to be sure it is the same formula and avoid risk of bad compatibility ;)

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Would the new ears be in the same place as the human ears?

How long of tail do you want?
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

zaxdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by zaxdoll »

rubherkitty wrote:Would the new ears be in the same place as the human ears?

How long of tail do you want?
Hell no :P
The cat ears should be on top of skull ;) same for fox ears (god i love kitsune)
For cat tail, it can be from 15cm to 30cm i think depending of the size of the doll

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

I assume your doll is silicone.
Do you know what type of skull the head has?
Do you plan to cut the human ears off and paint over with silicone?
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

zaxdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by zaxdoll »

rubherkitty wrote:I assume your doll is silicone.
Do you know what type of skull the head has?
Do you plan to cut the human ears off and paint over with silicone?
You're perfectly right my dolls are all silicone.
At this time, i haven't ask the manufacturer about the skull, i'm concentrating on the possibility to do the mod.
I'm gathering infos for sculting/molding and the like and if i feel easy i'll jump ;)
I even wonder about scanning my cats ears and ask a friend to 3D print me a mold.
Yeah the final target is to remove the human ears and have only animal ears, including modifying the wigs to let them point out, i'm even considering to permanently glue the wig at the end.
I got a lot of ideas but i miss some technical infos to realize at this time :mrgreen:

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

You could cut off human ears. Brush on silicone and cover with thin plastic to make smooth. Tape plastic down.
Should be easy to cover the ear patches with the wig.

For cat ears:
Cover the top of the head with plastic wrap. Sculpt cat ears out of non sulfur clay. Paint polyester resin over the ears slowly building up layers. Extend resin out 2-1/2 cm from base of ears. Let resin harden.

Remove ear sculpts and mold from doll head. Separate ear molds IF they are joined. Remove clay from molds. Polyester molds Must air cure for awhile before you cast silicone in them.

You will need to find a piece of hard plastic the shape of the dolls head to create a form that you can clamp to the open end of resin mold.
Find a heavy drinking mug or tube that you can support the mold in. Spray casting release agent into mold and let dry. Slowly dust in baby powder onto release agent and shake out excess out of mold.

Tint and mix silicone. Slowly pour silicone into mold until filled. Clamp on head shaped topper onto mold to squeeze out extra silicone over fill.

Let silicone cure then remove from mold. Clean doll head with alcohol then glue on ears using silicone glue.

zaxdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by zaxdoll »

Whoa !

That's a very good and precise how-to, i thank you a lot !

I going to bench it and surely i'll have to try more than few times ;)

Again, thanks a lot !

sleepyDragon

Post by sleepyDragon »

Sounds like a special effects job. Maybe there is an fx or movie prosthetics forum out there.

zaxdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by zaxdoll »

sleepyDragon wrote:Sounds like a special effects job. Maybe there is an fx or movie prosthetics forum out there.
this is a great idea, thank you, i'll check it ;)

As a wise man say, there is more in two head than in one :P

MannyCan
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by MannyCan »

Silicone mods (and I've done a lot of them so I know), is best sculpted in clay and then cast into silicone. That's the best way to ensure fit and quality. You barely need to glue if the connection is perfect.

See here for some tutorials:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=123084
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=126914
viewtopic.php?f=183&t=116050
rubherkitty wrote:You could cut off human ears. Brush on silicone and cover with thin plastic to make smooth. Tape plastic down.
I wouldn't cut off the ears. I would just use the existing ears as a fix-point and cover it up. The only time to cut off the ears is if (1) its in the way of the final look you want AND (2) you never want it back (its permanent).

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

If you brush resin onto the clay ears, make sure to cool the head and ears down so you don't leave brush marks in the clay. Use firm clay too. The resin will create heat so that's why I mention brushing on in thin layers and let set up between layers.

Instead of casting the ears and gluing onto the head, you could try to tape the mold to the head and pour silicone through a small hole in the tips of the ear molds. As MannyCan mentioned, this will create better adhesion. But this method is a little trickier. Silicone is heavy and could leak from between the mold and head. The ear tips may not look perfect. Depends upon how they're styled and if you plan to touch them up with additional painted on silicone coloring.
If you can tape and strap the ear molds to the head, you may be able to pour the ears with the head face down and have a larger pour hole at the rear & base of the mold. This is probably best idea.

@MannyCan. zaxdoll has indicated the cat ears will be on top of the head and not be attached to the human ears.

zaxdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by zaxdoll »

MannyCan wrote:I wouldn't cut off the ears. I would just use the existing ears as a fix-point and cover it up. The only time to cut off the ears is if (1) its in the way of the final look you want AND (2) you never want it back (its permanent).
If i go for catgirl, yes it'll be permanent ;)
rubherkitty wrote: @MannyCan. zaxdoll has indicated the cat ears will be on top of the head and not be attached to the human ears.
That is correct, it's exactly what i want :)

You gave me great ideas and i thank you for all your advices, i will begun experimentation soon :mrgreen:

And of course, keep you informed 8)

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Best wishes on the project!
Attachments
cat girls 1  - Copy.jpg
cat girls 1 - Copy.jpg (73.44 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

and MannequinFan can probably hook you up w/a set of cat eyes if you're so inclined!
Attachments
cat eyes 2 003.JPG
cat eyes 2 003.JPG (57.67 KiB) Viewed 553 times

INFORMATIONS