sexyrealsexdolls.com

Invest in lighting or camera, which first?

No matter how great your camera might be, it is how you apply your skills that makes the difference between an OK shot and a great shot. Here you can talk technical, talk creative, share your techniques, lighting, and digital editing. This is where we can all help each other to take better photos.
If you post a photo here and are looking for a critique, you should be prepared for honest criticism even if it hurts. It will only help to make us better photographers.

Moderator: Swan

Jimpink
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Invest in lighting or camera, which first?

Post by Jimpink »

Pretty much the same set that's on it's way to me, minus the backdrops though as most reviews via eBay were that they likely arrive creased. Opted out and will either buy these separately or find something else to use instead.
Boomtown!
Jimpink
Wolka & Amy
Pocket Pink Perfection
Instagram
House of Pink Girls
ImageImageImage

I like blondes

Post by I like blondes »

jimpink wrote:I've just purchased some cheap soft box lights from eBay and will experiment with these to start with and hope to level up to your standard!
$53 USD for lighting, bro. $20 USD for FaceApp Pro. $25 USD for YouCam Makeup App. Total cost = $98 USD.

Camera used: Samsung Note 9
Attachments
Screenshot_20210121-050816_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20210121-050816_Amazon Shopping.jpg (147.23 KiB) Viewed 804 times
20210121_050934.jpg
20210121_050934.jpg (104.39 KiB) Viewed 804 times
20210120_152035-1.jpg
20210120_152035-1.jpg (5.1 MiB) Viewed 804 times
A N G E L / F A L L E N

Jimpink
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Jimpink »

I like blondes wrote:
jimpink wrote:I've just purchased some cheap soft box lights from eBay and will experiment with these to start with and hope to level up to your standard!
$53 USD for lighting, bro. $20 USD for FaceApp Pro. $25 USD for YouCam Makeup App. Total cost = $98 USD.

Camera used: Samsung Note 9
This is the plan, financially anyway! £35 Lighting dropped at work just after I left today so I'll pick that up tomorrow and start playing with it this weekend! FaceApp subscription pending if I need it. Backdrops can wait I've got a white wall corner I can make into a makeshift studio in my ahem studio flat.
Boomtown!
Jimpink
Wolka & Amy
Pocket Pink Perfection
Instagram
House of Pink Girls
ImageImageImage

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

my ahem studio flat

You had another set of words in your mind to describe where you live :whistle:

Jimpink
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Jimpink »

Studio within a studio was the lame joke here, if you're implying that I was trying to be candid about my lush central London studio apartment then you'd be wrong. It's got more faults and issues than I can list easily and I'm still paying through the roof for it!

It's that or I've missed something...
Boomtown!
Jimpink
Wolka & Amy
Pocket Pink Perfection
Instagram
House of Pink Girls
ImageImageImage

Blisst
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Blisst »

jimpink wrote:My incoming lighting was considerably cheaper than some of your recent suggestions so we shall see how long it lasts before a) collapsing and disintegrating or b) blowing up taking everything, doll, me and my flat with it. I'm sure if I'm careful I can get some shots off before any of this happens...

I did look at some Godox stuff Tighes1 and that'll be my go to once the first stuff lives it's life.

As for a clip on lens kit, I'm off to look for one right now. That could be a game changer in terms of affordability and multi function usability. Good tip Blisst! And I'm already using/getting used to GIMP 2.10, any advice appreciated as it's loaded with adjustments and can be somewhat overwhelming.

If i was buying one right now, this is probably the lens kit I'd go for (largely for the UV filters that I don't have in the kit I received as a gift) https://www.amazon.com/Godefa-Samsung-A ... 210&sr=8-5

Tips for GIMP?

um... https://www.gimp.org/docs/ and https://www.bing.com/search?q=gimp+tuto ... 01&PC=U531

Really, the one thing I can say, don't try to learn too much too fast when it comes to GIMP. Start small, take appropriate sized bites. you can always go back to your RAW images later, and retouch them again as you learn more.
-no sig

setevoltas
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by setevoltas »

Lighting for sure. I spent over a year just using the camera on a Samsung J7. Eventually moved to a DSLR for various reasons, but a couple of Lumecube type lights probably would have given me another year just using the phone. And shoot, the Iphone camera and apps get better all the time.

Totally depends on your budget. Either way, your skills and approach will keep developing, just in slightly different areas.
Sete's Gatas
Instagram - @setesartphotography

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

A camera is the investment, and really the lenses. Good lighting can be had for $100.
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

I like blondes

Post by I like blondes »

Headshot, using that Rembrandt lighting. Probably the most perfect headshot I have ever taken, using a $20 6" ring light & a cell phone lol
Attachments
20210123_084124-2-01.jpeg
20210123_084124-2-01.jpeg (941.91 KiB) Viewed 734 times
A N G E L / F A L L E N

Jimpink
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Jimpink »

Blisst wrote:
If i was buying one right now, this is probably the lens kit I'd go for (largely for the UV filters that I don't have in the kit I received as a gift) https://www.amazon.com/Godefa-Samsung-A ... 210&sr=8-5

Tips for GIMP?

um... https://www.gimp.org/docs/ and https://www.bing.com/search?q=gimp+tuto ... 01&PC=U531

Really, the one thing I can say, don't try to learn too much too fast when it comes to GIMP. Start small, take appropriate sized bites. you can always go back to your RAW images later, and retouch them again as you learn more.
Yep looks like a pretty good deal on that lens kit link, thanks!

And that's exactly how I've been approaching GIMP, using simple steps that I can understand and not trying too hard. My first edit efforts can be seen as way too dramatic!
I like blondes wrote:Headshot, using that Rembrandt lighting. Probably the most perfect headshot I have ever taken, using a $20 6" ring light & a cell phone lol
That did come out well didn't it, good job. A little skill and technique goes a long way to making up the funds not spent on actual equipment.
Boomtown!
Jimpink
Wolka & Amy
Pocket Pink Perfection
Instagram
House of Pink Girls
ImageImageImage

Jimpink
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Jimpink »

First lighting shoot is here, thank you for all your advice so far. I'll get better each time but already it's a drastic improvement for a £30 investment.
Attachments
20210130_164303.jpg
20210130_164303.jpg (674.3 KiB) Viewed 705 times
Boomtown!
Jimpink
Wolka & Amy
Pocket Pink Perfection
Instagram
House of Pink Girls
ImageImageImage

Studio
Asst. Manager - TDF
Asst. Manager - TDF

Post by Studio »

Nice photo, hope she won her race.

MattUK

Post by MattUK »

I'd say camera. I still own zero lighting equipment and I'm very happy with the pictures I get (check out Hannah's thread). As other's have said, you don't need to get a brand new or hugely expensive DSLR though.

Jimpink
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Jimpink »

Studio wrote:Nice photo, hope she won her race.
Thanks! She's still in training right now, check the eye candy, but living the dream of competing! Got to finish the outfit off with an "official" homemade race bib though.
MattUK wrote:I'd say camera. I still own zero lighting equipment and I'm very happy with the pictures I get (check out Hannah's thread). As other's have said, you don't need to get a brand new or hugely expensive DSLR though.
You do have impressive skills for no lighting at all, composition goes a long way and Hannah always looks stunning thanks to you! My lighting has improved my lack of colour recognition which is a big plus. Camera next for sure...
Boomtown!
Jimpink
Wolka & Amy
Pocket Pink Perfection
Instagram
House of Pink Girls
ImageImageImage

Ztar073
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Ztar073 »

I like blondes wrote:Headshot, using that Rembrandt lighting. Probably the most perfect headshot I have ever taken, using a $20 6" ring light & a cell phone lol
It depends on what you like.. your using an app to essentially photoshop. Its not the same as a straight out of the camera picture. Some of us don't like the photoshop look.

INFORMATIONS