www.yourdoll.com

Stain-Safe Clothing for Silicone Dolls?

Clothing, footwear, hats, gloves, jewelry, etc. Store bought, modified and handmade.
OscarOrville

Stain-Safe Clothing for Silicone Dolls?

Post by OscarOrville »

Hi Guys,

I ordered a silicone doll that is coming in soon and intend on getting clothes for it.

I have also heard lots of fabrics can stain, and that it can be pretty hard to get these stains out.

What should I look for to figure out if clothes are silicone safe?

Thanks!

vinsanity015

Re: Stain-Safe Clothing for Silicone Dolls?

Post by vinsanity015 »

I got my first silicone doll about one year and half ago. From my experience trying different types of clothes/fabrics, I believe most of the general recommendations provided in this thread on how to avoid colour stains on TPE are valid for silicone too.

Some general recommendations to choose:
- the darker the colour, the higher the risk of staining the doll
- cheap clothes are riskier due to dye quality/process, however this doesn't make expensive clothes risk-free. Unfortunately there is no fixed rule here. In any case, wash the item a few times before using
- stretchable jersey fabrics (anything that resembles cotton, even if synthetic/recycled, including vyscose) are riskier than plain straight fabric (e.g. an overcoat or a non-stretchable shirt)

After purchasing and washing the item, you'd better run a test. You could try to wrap the fabric around an arm/foot and see how that body part it reacts. It just takes a few minutes but can save a lot of headache afterwards.

What I also noticed is that staining happens faster with a higher doll temperature. I just tested a black jersey dress (a sound "no") on my silicone doll after keeping her warmed up, and staining began to happen almost immediately.
This same black dress had been washed quite a few times, which means the dyeing quality is so poor that I will never be able to use it on my doll. This also can happen when buying on the cheap end of the market.
This doesn't mean you can only buy white/pink clothes. I have some light blue underwear, orange bikinis, brown shirts, blue skirts...

Never, never leave dark clothes on your doll for a long period of time, e.g. during storage.

crazedcat
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by crazedcat »

General rule of thumb is dark color synthetic fabrics (nylon, polyester, rayon, etc.) will hold color much better than natural fibers (cotton, wool, etc.).

I've left dark clothes on for up to 3 days with zero staining. This may also depend on the brand of silicone doll but silicone generally is more impervious to staining than TPE.

If you're dressing her for a few hours and then removing the clothes then I wouldn't be concerned at all.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sillyconeman
TAYU 148D+
TAYU 158C+
TAYU 170E
MLW 148B silicone

Kimmi Lovecok
Doll
Doll

Post by Kimmi Lovecok »

crazedcat wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:29 am
If you're dressing her for a few hours and then removing the clothes then I wouldn't be concerned at all.
:thumbs_up:

IHaveTried
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IHaveTried »

I have noticed some Pleather 4ways stretchy fabric with the ability to stain within 30 minutes on silicone. Was quick to remove but was shocking how fast.

INFORMATIONS