Full 100% Aluminum Skeleton

Got an idea? Need an invention?
BigTexDFW
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Full 100% Aluminum Skeleton

Post by BigTexDFW »

Why is this not offered?

A full aluminum skeleton would shave 20 pounds off a tall doll.

With everyone crying about weight, why is it no doll mfr has introduced this option?

I have my own theories as to why it hasn't been offered. What are yours? :glou:

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Full 100% Aluminum Skeleton

Post by Socratus »

Yea I was also wondering why they don't use lighter metals. Those dolls get heavy. Costs I guess. I suppose carbon fibres totally out.

Still, I am surprised that they get so heavy. I never realised until I looked here. Well I heard one guy mention it ages back, but I thought it was a one off.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

luckyb
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by luckyb »

Also, why not use pvc? I think its durable enough if you construct it right and dont jump on the doll

RJ357
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by RJ357 »

Hell, they have a hard enough time with welding steel it seems.. just saying.

Kaori Kusanagi

Post by Kaori Kusanagi »

BigTexDFW wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:41 pm A full aluminum skeleton would shave 20 pounds off a tall doll.
I don't think the whole skeleton weighs that much. I had one here that if it weighed as much as 5lbs total, I'd eat my hat. :lol:

Also, to make an aluminum skeleton able to handle the same loads the super-thin-wall stainless steel one does, it would have to use much much thicker walls, so it wouldn't actually weigh much (if any) less. It would also be more vulnerable to joint breakage, which is already a problem with the steel ones.

I don't know how the various doll materials would react with the aluminum, either.

There are a bunch of threads about weight reduction; you can see from various checks people have done that it's the flexible materials the doll body is made from that have almost all of the weight. Some poeple have done foam cores for their dolls to lighten them; it's the most effective option I've seen posted.

BigTexDFW
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by BigTexDFW »

Fair enough, but no one would argue that a steel frame is as light as an aluminum frame. When dolls can cost upwards of $5k for the top models, I don't think the cost of the aluminum is the issue. It must be an engineering issue. And I highly doubt a steel frame is 5 lbs. Anybody???

BigTexDFW
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by BigTexDFW »

Aluminum is a much more difficult metal to weld than steel. Its why modern aircraft have virtually no welding in them - they literally are all bolted, glued and screwed together.

I don't think the factories in China have either the engineers or the production staff to pull off an aluminum skeleton. Maybe one day, but certainly not now.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

A lot of good points on both sides here. If you really want to get into it I suggest you search TDF a bit on skeletons, skeleton design and the like. Many good posts and actual images of the parts that hold up the doll. At this point in the evolution of sex dolls it seems like the main weight reduction areas are the meat (TPE/silicone) versus the bones. Plus most manufacturing processes for sex doll skeletons are not really that far away from blacksmithing. :)

But there does seem to be significant areas for improvement. Such as techniques to avoid component breakage, better and more flexible joints, additional joint locations and generally making them stronger and smoother to operate.

Then again, if you find a method or area to improve, post it and share it. That's the only way things will get better.

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

MX-V
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by MX-V »

Good points. And what BigTex said.
Welding steel is a challenge. Stainless Steel is even worse, Aluminum is just awful.
The cost would get up there also.
PVC. Not sturdy enough. Even solid PVC would snap with the weight and also the activities wouldn't help.
Someone will ask about Carbon Fiber. Good luck. The cost would be the worst.

As I've removed the tpe from 2 dolls, the skeletons are fairly well done, considering how many have to be made.
I love the smell of TPE in the morning...

stratzilla setz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by stratzilla setz »

F0AA320A-06F1-46CE-8384-E74679F50BE1.jpeg
F0AA320A-06F1-46CE-8384-E74679F50BE1.jpeg (461.74 KiB) Viewed 783 times
Trying to do a breakdown of what these skeletons are made of.
Does anyone know the real life names of all these parts or where to even buy them?

Also I was thinking about camera equipment, and how things like friction arms and tripod ball heads would work decently for some joints, but some of the affordable versions don’t support a lot of weight.

RevJack
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by RevJack »

stratzilla setz wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:54 pm F0AA320A-06F1-46CE-8384-E74679F50BE1.jpeg

Trying to do a breakdown of what these skeletons are made of.
Does anyone know the real life names of all these parts or where to even buy them?

Also I was thinking about camera equipment, and how things like friction arms and tripod ball heads would work decently for some joints, but some of the affordable versions don’t support a lot of weight.
The gears used in the joints are custom for the doll industry. So are the "donuts" in the joints without gears.
Camera equipment is soft aluminium and uses rubber O rings for friction. That is not a sustainable friction source. Those camera boom arms that are double balls and clamp-sockets depend upon the circular edges of the clamp-sockets digging into the soft aluminium of the balls to freeze the joint. They are not designed to move. AFAIK there are no "rotator bearings" in any of the skeletons I am familiar with.
Reverend Jacks Roamin' Cadillac Sex Doll Repair. Roamin' the land fixin' dollies and handing out salvation from the back of his Cadillac.

ALSO TRY Reverend Jack's Anointed Snake Oil, good for cleansing stains from the body and the Soul! Step right up folks, only $5 a bottle! We got plenty to go around! Cash only please.

Aibei 158 Blue Elf, AS 157, XES 128, OR 156G, WM 160C (r), Sanhui 168 (r), WM 157B, WM 138D (Faun), Mistress 168 (r), 6YE 100 (Bubbles)

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

Very interesting. Just got my doll, but the weight still surprises me even though I was prepared. Yet, I look at her and she looks so easy to carry... I remember when a girlfriend once said, "Bet you can't carry me!" And I lifted her up in an instant!

Impossible to do with these dolls!

Here's hoping that they eventually get round to lighter dolls cos they really need it.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

Kaori Kusanagi wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:48 pm
BigTexDFW wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:41 pm A full aluminum skeleton would shave 20 pounds off a tall doll.
I don't think the whole skeleton weighs that much. I had one here that if it weighed as much as 5lbs total, I'd eat my hat. :lol:

Also, to make an aluminum skeleton able to handle the same loads the super-thin-wall stainless steel one does, it would have to use much much thicker walls, so it wouldn't actually weigh much (if any) less. It would also be more vulnerable to joint breakage, which is already a problem with the steel ones.

I don't know how the various doll materials would react with the aluminum, either.

There are a bunch of threads about weight reduction; you can see from various checks people have done that it's the flexible materials the doll body is made from that have almost all of the weight. Some poeple have done foam cores for their dolls to lighten them; it's the most effective option I've seen posted.
This, 100%
100cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 11/27/2018, Measurements: I - cup / 25I - 16 - 24 @ 32.4 lbs
140cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 5/14/2019, Measurements: K - cup / 31K - 19 - 25 @ 51 lbs
125cm Amazon doll. Purchased: 3/24/2024, Measurements: G - cup / 26G - 17 - 25 @ 39.8 lbs

BorderFarce
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BorderFarce »

In China strong aluminum alloys have to come from military and airline and aerospace and robotics tech industries.

Not available to the low tech sexdoll industry which even a country village can startup in a warehouse with a little capital. So the parts are literally a step above Home Depot or Lowes from any local machine shop modest size fabricator.

Titanium.alloys would be even better but they are only used in $8,000+ Japanese silicone sexdolls as their industrial base is more universally Hi-Tech and non military and accessible to neighboring adjacent manufacturers.

BorderFarce
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BorderFarce »

If sexdolls were not allowed in China then the majority of today's sexdolls would come from Japan and would be 15 lbs lighter than today's average sexdoll because they would have aluminum alloy, titanium alloy, and carbon fiber skeletons...

But would cost over twice as much.

INFORMATIONS