Starpery.com

Let's talk about facial movement...

Got an idea? Need an invention?
tesla3227
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Let's talk about facial movement...

Post by tesla3227 »

I'm curious as what our members on here would say if asked this simple question? If your doll could have facial movement...What would be your top priority or favorite facial expression or movement...Personally for me, I'm tired of seeing animatronic heads where the mouth just moves up and down...you need lip pursing and movement to go along with the jaw. I think I may have discovered a simple way to do that with no servos and no moving parts. Want your doll to pucker and give you a kiss? The answer to that may be more simple than you think. I would like to hear about expressions and how important they are to everyone. Tesla

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Let's talk about facial movement...

Post by Mr Franz »

A pucker wouldn't interest me all that much, but a real smile complete with eye and cheek movement would be nice.

tesla3227
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by tesla3227 »

Mr Franz wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:01 pm A pucker wouldn't interest me all that much, but a real smile complete with eye and cheek movement would be nice.
That's exactly what I was asking for Mr. Franz... I've been brainstorming the whole facial movement and expression thing and I know I wrote on artificial muscle, but artificial muscle has a ways to go...the major drawback being response time . I have an idea for something an arduino could control without the robotic sound of servos. Think back if you ever played with magnets...they push or pull do they not? So do muscles... :D

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

Mr Franz wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:01 pm A pucker wouldn't interest me all that much, but a real smile complete with eye and cheek movement would be nice.
I'm not against a pucker, but a smile would be good. I'd also like a plain expression (default),to sad range as well. When I first got my doll the hardest decision was picking just the right expression that would represent most basic ranges. I wanted a doll that could somehow encompass a happy, plain, and sad expression to sympathise with the Doll user's feelings; pretty much impossible.

At the time, it occur to me that maybe a moldable face with a basic internal structure could work? You manually adjust the mouth and the rest of the face would follow? I'm sure tesla3227 could think of something.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

tesla3227
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by tesla3227 »

Socratus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:34 pm
I'm not against a pucker, but a smile would be good. I'd also like a plain expression (default),to sad range as well. When I first got my doll the hardest decision was picking just the right expression that would represent most basic ranges. I wanted a doll that could somehow encompass a happy, plain, and sad expression to sympathise with the Doll user's feelings; pretty much impossible.

At the time, it occur to me that maybe a moldable face with a basic internal structure could work? You manually adjust the mouth and the rest of the face would follow? I'm sure tesla3227 could think of something.
How about a face where you could choose the expression with the push of a button? That's exactly what I'm thinking of Socratus....A preset of various expressions. I'm pretty good at special effects so I think I'm going to create my own head to experiment with. I'm not doing this for profit and will happily share with everyone that is interested in the mod but it would probably be better to use a newly created face with the mod built into it. I'm going to tinker around a bit and see what I can come up with and I don't want a head full of servos, which after some heavy brainstorming, I don't think I'll need. You should be able to change an expression, open and close the eyes, etc without hearing the noise of a servo or having a head that looks like the inside of a mainframe from the 50's.

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

tesla3227 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:24 pm

How about a face where you could choose the expression with the push of a button? That's exactly what I'm thinking of Socratus....A preset of various expressions. I'm pretty good at special effects so I think I'm going to create my own head to experiment with. I'm not doing this for profit and will happily share with everyone that is interested in the mod but it would probably be better to use a newly created face with the mod built into it. I'm going to tinker around a bit and see what I can come up with and I don't want a head full of servos, which after some heavy brainstorming, I don't think I'll need. You should be able to change an expression, open and close the eyes, etc without hearing the noise of a servo or having a head that looks like the inside of a mainframe from the 50's.
I wish you good fortune with it. Be great to hear how it goes.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

tesla3227
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by tesla3227 »

Socratus wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:29 pm
tesla3227 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:24 pm

I wish you good fortune with it. Be great to hear how it goes.
I'll certainly post the progress as I work on it :D

Gaijin
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gaijin »

Blinking and smiling would be the top of my list.

tesla3227
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by tesla3227 »

Gaijin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:45 pm Blinking and smiling would be the top of my list.
Seems like smiling is a big favorite...definitely one to work on :D

randomname1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by randomname1 »

I was actually going to start a similar post but then I saw this one.

I'm new and still learning about all this, but a BIG QUESTION I have is why are 99% of all the doll faces this neutral, placid, emotionless, mannequin-like expression? I think I've seen one with her eyes closed and then one or two with permanent smiles. I don't really have a problem with it or anything because I have a vivid imagination, but from a product marketing standpoint it just seems REALLY WEIRD. Especially since removable heads are now so popular.

So... why isn't there a sex doll head with a "sex face" facial expression? Like she's moaning. This seems so obvious to me. We don't need any movement - we just need THAT permanent face. I have no doubt if it existed and was sculpted well it would outsell the other heads. I think I read somewhere this is like a 20 billion dollar industry. I cannot be the first person who's thought of this... which makes me think that for some reason the idea is somehow frowned upon or not allowed. Anyone know what's up with this?

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

jr_geppetto wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:29 pmSo... why isn't there a sex doll head with a "sex face" facial expression? Like she's moaning. This seems so obvious to me. We don't need any movement - we just need THAT permanent face. I have no doubt if it existed and was sculpted well it would outsell the other heads. I think I read somewhere this is like a 20 billion dollar industry. I cannot be the first person who's thought of this... which makes me think that for some reason the idea is somehow frowned upon or not allowed. Anyone know what's up with this?
Not many, but there are a few faces like that. I sure wouldn't want one though. Except for erotic photos or sex, which I don't even use my dolls for, any other time it would just look like she was in pain! :mrgreen:

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

jr_geppetto wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:29 pm I was actually going to start a similar post but then I saw this one.

I'm new and still learning about all this, but a BIG QUESTION I have is why are 99% of all the doll faces this neutral, placid, emotionless, mannequin-like expression? I think I've seen one with her eyes closed and then one or two with permanent smiles. I don't really have a problem with it or anything because I have a vivid imagination, but from a product marketing standpoint it just seems REALLY WEIRD. Especially since removable heads are now so popular.
To me it's because it's very hard to make an expression to suit every situation or mood of the owner. Some clearly decided that a non-plus expression would cater for all moods. Also spare removable heads are still expensive, especially if you're gonna get one for every mood.
jr_geppetto wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:29 pm So... why isn't there a sex doll head with a "sex face" facial expression? Like she's moaning. This seems so obvious to me. We don't need any movement - we just need THAT permanent face. I have no doubt if it existed and was sculpted well it would outsell the other heads. I think I read somewhere this is like a 20 billion dollar industry. I cannot be the first person who's thought of this... which makes me think that for some reason the idea is somehow frowned upon or not allowed. Anyone know what's up with this?

Way too specific. Not every man wants to see his doll in an expression of sexual moaning every time he sees her, I certainly don't. Also if anyone pops by, even someone who knows you have a doll, it would be quite disturbing to see it with what looks like an almost painful expression on her face continually and some people will see it as painful. And even those who see it was sexual would not want to. There's a reason why we don't see people in a state of sexual pleasure 24/7.

tesla3227
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by tesla3227 »

Way too specific. Not every man wants to see his doll in an expression of sexual moaning every time he sees her, I certainly don't. Also if anyone pops by, even someone who knows you have a doll, it would be quite disturbing to see it with what looks like an almost painful expression on her face continually and some people will see it as painful. And even those who see it was sexual would not want to.
[/quote]

Very true! What I'm thinking of doing is creating one with some presets and having it were it can be customized with software....no reason not to have both and not hard to do at all.

INFORMATIONS