Starpery.com

Movable Eyelids The Dollar Store Way

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
AIMD

Movable Eyelids The Dollar Store Way

Post by AIMD »

I was in the dollar store and the elastic bandage for injuries looked like a good material for eyelids, being flexible and skin coloured. The following is my experiment and I hope others can improve on it. I'm not sure about it holding makeup or eyelashes but they should work since the bandage is fabric. Make sure to get bandage that doesn't have any adhesive.
Non adhesive elastic bandage from the dollar store
Non adhesive elastic bandage from the dollar store
elastic_bandage.jpg (735.03 KiB) Viewed 981 times
The bandage was 3 inches wide so I folded it over and cut it in half. Make sure to cut along the weave, not against it. Size ended up being 2 1/4" x 1 1/2".
Cut pieces 2 1/4" x 1 1/2" (5.7cm x 3.8cm)
Cut pieces 2 1/4" x 1 1/2" (5.7cm x 3.8cm)
2.25%22x1.5%22.jpg (673.41 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Mark a shallow curve and cut. If you don't the extra fabric on top will hinder the eyelid movement.
Mark curve on bandage
Mark curve on bandage
mark_curve.jpg (711.41 KiB) Viewed 981 times
The eyelid finish cut
The eyelid finish cut
finish_cut.jpg (587.41 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Fold the bandage around the eye and apply hot glue to the front bottom half only. The hot glue adds strength and prevents the eyelid from unravelling (hopefully). I didn't glue the top because I wanted the fabric to flex as the eyelid moved. To smooth out the hot glue I used the side of the barrel of the glue gun and waited until the glue was cold before inserting the eyelids into the eye sockets. Left the eyes in the head while inserting.
Fold bandage around eye and hold while using hot glue
Fold bandage around eye and hold while using hot glue
fold_around_eye.jpg (426.68 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Don't glue the eyelid to the eye!
Hot glue bottom front half only
Hot glue bottom front half only
hot_glue_bottom_half.jpg (470.05 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Pictures of the eyelids in. The eyelashes didn't survive the handling and came off
Eyes open
Eyes open
eyes_open.jpg (653.95 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Side shot
Side shot
side_shot.jpg (664.25 KiB) Viewed 981 times
A wink?
A wink?
wink.jpg (677 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Half shut
Half shut
half_shut.jpg (687.51 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Closed eyes
Closed eyes
closed.jpg (735.66 KiB) Viewed 981 times
I tried without the hot glue but the bandage started to come apart fairly quickly and the hot glue adds rigidity so the eyelids can be moved. It's a tiny bit of work but the eyelids should fit and experiment with what works for you. Making two eyelids took less than half an hour. If you make these and have improvements or colour them and add eyelashes please post.
Any ideas I may present, as long as they do not infringe on prior works, are open source and may not be encumbered/patented in any manner.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Movable Eyelids The Dollar Store Way

Post by Wheezer »

Very nice ... simple and ingenious.
The tape gives some striations and looks good.

A few comments / suggestions ....

1) Wrap the eyeballs tightly in cling wrap before using the glue, to help protect them.
2) Cut the top curve a bit higher to give you more upper lid. Better covering when closed.
3) Try running the hot glue over then entire lid, so that it conforms to the eyeball and looks better closed.

For coloring a LIGHT bit of oil pant can be rubbed/blended onto the glue. Then set by the gently use of a hot air gun. It will infuse into the hot glue.
Other colorings methods could be used, from paints to makeup. All with various level of permanence.

Cheap and commonly available parts to improve your doll. Very good.

This has potential, stick with it.

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

FatesArrow

Post by FatesArrow »

Very interesting!

I'm going to try this soon. As a variation, I think I'm going to mix up some RTV silicone with various appropriate shades of oil paint to create an eye shadow effect. RTV silicone is also a pretty reliable way to attach eyelashes so long as you wait long enough for it to begin to set up.

I'll post here if successful.

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

I was just thinking about a DIY solution to this. There had to be a cheap way to get effective eyelids, to look like her eyes are closed. Came to my mind something was needed when I woke up last night and saw my doll just staring back at me when she really should be 'sleeping'.

Plaster bandages seems a bit too thick, there must be a thinner, smoother alternative.

I should probably get some spare eyeballs before attempting anything though.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

Socratus wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:19 am I was just thinking about a DIY solution to this. There had to be a cheap way to get effective eyelids, to look like her eyes are closed. Came to my mind something was needed when I woke up last night and saw my doll just staring back at me when she really should be 'sleeping'.

Plaster bandages seems a bit too thick, there must be a thinner, smoother alternative.

What about trying disposable latex or nitrile gloves? Gloves for washing dishes might be thick enough if the others are too thin.
Any ideas I may present, as long as they do not infringe on prior works, are open source and may not be encumbered/patented in any manner.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Nitrile gloves might be the safer option
Latex and TPE together don't have a good track record :whistle:

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

There was a member here a while back, don't remember who now, that made lids from cut ping pong balls. Looked pretty decent as I remember.

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

AIMD wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:44 pm
Socratus wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:19 am I was just thinking about a DIY solution to this. There had to be a cheap way to get effective eyelids, to look like her eyes are closed. Came to my mind something was needed when I woke up last night and saw my doll just staring back at me when she really should be 'sleeping'.

What about trying disposable latex or nitrile gloves? Gloves for washing dishes might be thick enough if the others are too thin.
Not a bad idea.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

The hot glue was too white when dry so I was tried some of the suggestions.
1) Wrap the eyeballs tightly in cling wrap before using the glue, to help protect them.
Used a bottle neck with the right curvature. Worked well.
2) Cut the top curve a bit higher to give you more upper lid. Better covering when closed.
Tried this but too much of a curve didn't allow the eyelid to open properly. I could have just done this wrong and maybe someone else is more experienced.
3) Try running the hot glue over then entire lid, so that it conforms to the eyeball and looks better closed.
Tried this also but same as previous statement. I think the hot glue is best when covering the eye opening and just a little bit above it. Working the hot glue too much stretches the elastic bandage and it goes out of shape.
For coloring a LIGHT bit of oil pant can be rubbed/blended onto the glue. Then set by the gently use of a hot air gun. It will infuse into the hot glue.
Other colorings methods could be used, from paints to makeup. All with various level of permanence.
Couldn't find oil paint at the dollar store so I used a powder blush. Used a soldering iron with a flat blade to smooth out the hot glue then waited for the glue to harden just a little bit, soft but not very sticky, then applied the blush. It stuck into the glue. Also tried foundation but anything with water didn't work for me. Was thinking about trying cocoa powder but that is for another day.
The hot glue forms an almost stiff and yet flexible rubber-like material. The bandage and glue is soft enough to look more like a natural eyelid but hard enough it can be moved without deforming. Very little wear and tear as well but there is definitely room for improvement and experimentation.

The flecks are glitter from some other makeup I had tried. She needs eyebrows and eyelashes but it's one step at a time.
eyelids4.jpg
eyelids4.jpg (187.93 KiB) Viewed 795 times
eyelids3.jpg
eyelids3.jpg (407.69 KiB) Viewed 795 times
eyelids2.jpg
eyelids2.jpg (444.66 KiB) Viewed 795 times
eyelids1.jpg
eyelids1.jpg (378.24 KiB) Viewed 795 times

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

Socratus wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:33 pm
AIMD wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:44 pm

Not a bad idea.
Was thinking about a solution for the elastic stretching with the hot glue so how about trying a flesh coloured cotton fabric? The glue or silicone would stiffen it up and heat wouldn't any affect any elasticity. There'd also still be texture from the weave.

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

The elastic bandage and hot glue broke down from all of the movement so I'm trying just nylon strapping from rachet tiedowns. Thinking since a rachet strap can hold at least 400 lbs (180 kilos) they might work for eyelids and be stiff enough to move. Heat sealed the edges so they don't unravel like the elastic bandages did. Added a little bit of cocoa powder to the bronzer to take away some of the glitter and darken it up somewhat. The colour came close to the skin tone.
Rachet strap eyelids
Rachet strap eyelids
20230528_221302.jpg (385.31 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Whach'ya looking at?
Whach'ya looking at?
20230528_222401.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 658 times
The mica glitter from the bronzer got all over while putting the eyelid in before the cocoa powder was added.
Anyone have any ideas on how to glue eyelashes to nylon and still be flexible?

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

AIMD wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:44 am Anyone have any ideas on how to glue eyelashes to nylon and still be flexible?
Think it's figured out (quite by accident). Brushed fingernail glue on the edge of the eyelid which dried and made a stiff edge. Then just stuck on the self-adhesive eyelashes and they seem to be holding on well. Time will tell if it works. The nail glue also sticks quite well to tpe and I think nail glue is a form of superglue.
Eyelashes
Eyelashes
20230528_233501.jpg (973.88 KiB) Viewed 647 times

Luiskjr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Luiskjr »

AIMD wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:44 am Anyone have any ideas on how to glue eyelashes to nylon and still be flexible?
Very good experience! Thank you for sharing!

have you tried band-aid ?
Its skin color, its thin as eyelids, it sticks to self-adhesive eyelashes,

Another suggestion:
Why not totally glue the eyelid inna thin skin-like material like the bandaid sticker, glue it to the upper white part of the eyeball.

When we want to show her sleeping just roll her eyes down. Not completely realistic eyelid function but at least enough to show her asleep
Im kind of like Larry David, speak my mind and that offends some but thats how I am
1965-1978 Long Pillow
1980 Inflatable
2016 Plush Doll
2020 Irontech Torso Mira
Starpery TPE 172F Wayne Winstead and Rozanne, Starpery Silicone Nathalia 165D

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

Luiskjr wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:12 am
AIMD wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:44 am Anyone have any ideas on how to glue eyelashes to nylon and still be flexible?

Another suggestion:
Why not totally glue the eyelid inna thin skin-like material like the bandaid sticker, glue it to the upper white part of the eyeball.

When we want to show her sleeping just roll her eyes down. Not completely realistic eyelid function but at least enough to show her asleep

Didn't think about a band-aid but it might be too thin to handle constant movement as an independent eyelid. If it was stuck to her eye then it would work but then the eye expression would be very limited. Be worth experimenting with though.

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

AIMD wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:45 am
Luiskjr wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:12 am

Another suggestion:

Didn't think about a band-aid but it might be too thin to handle constant movement as an independent eyelid. If it was stuck to her eye then it would work but then the eye expression would be very limited. Be worth experimenting with though.
Been away a few weeks but nice that you kept at it. Looking pretty good.

INFORMATIONS