www.yourdoll.com

Doll Fashion Design

Clothing, footwear, hats, gloves, jewelry, etc. Store bought, modified and handmade.
randomname1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Doll Fashion Design

Post by randomname1 »

INTRODUCTION:

Hi all, I'm starting this new thread for projects related to fashion design for my doll. My doll has been with me for about 4 months now. She is short with a small waist, wide hips and large breasts. For this reason, off-the-rack clothes do not fit her well. The two main problems are (1) bottoms that fit over her hips have a lot of slack in the waist. This is even a problem with panties. (2) tops don't fit well because her breasts pull the front of the garment forward stretching at the arm holes. This produces a very undesirable stretched look. I believe this thread will have wider interest in this community because many dolls have both large breasts and small waists and so have these same problems. Initially I thought it would be easy to do clothing alterations to make garments fit, but that turns out to be quite difficult in many cases, especially with tops. And so I believe I will have better results if I just make garments from scratch. Another problem is that garments that do fit are quite difficult and time consuming to get on and off my doll. And so I think if I design my own clothing I can come up with ways to make taking them on and off much easier - methods that can be applied to doll clothing that would never be applied to clothing for humans.

FUTURE CONTENT:

I'll be posting fashion design projects with an emphasis on the process. I'm going to try to post photos and descriptive text from design to finished garment.

ABOUT ME:

I'm not a fashion designer but I have a general background in art and design. I'm specifically good at 3D design and thinking in 3D which I hope will help me. I've got a consumer sewing machine and I'm starting to get comfortable with it.

Wish me luck! Also, everyone else is welcome to post their doll fashion design projects in my thread as well.

randomname1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Doll Fashion Design

Post by randomname1 »

Here is my first fashion project: I'm making denim short shorts / booty shorts / Daisy Dukes for my doll. I've never managed to find shorts like this that fit her. I'm using a pattern technique I learned from cosplayers. I'm going to wrap her in plastic wrap. Then cover that with a layer of masking tape. Then draw the pattern panels on the tape with a permanent marker. Then cut out the panels with safety scissors being very careful not to cut the tpe.
shorts_sewing_01_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_01_1200x800_noexif.png (893.41 KiB) Viewed 1356 times

randomname1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by randomname1 »

Ok getting this project rolling. Wrapped doll with strips of plastic wrap. Then covered with a layer of masking tape. I was going to use two layers but then realized it was unnecessary. Began drawing pattern of booty shorts with dotted lines to allow me to easily make adjustments. Then finished panel outlines with solid lines. Now time to cut out the template from the doll. I used children's "safety scissors" as a precaution, but realized this was unnecessary. The easiest way is to take two fingers, press down the tpe, then hold the scissor blades between those two fingers and cut.
shorts_sewing_02_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_02_1200x800_noexif.png (920.03 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
shorts_sewing_03_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_03_1200x800_noexif.png (898.01 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
shorts_sewing_04_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_04_1200x800_noexif.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1319 times

randomname1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by randomname1 »

Now I have cut the pattern panels out and taped them to poster board. And I've used a ruler to draw a 1/2" border around them all for the seams. The belt loops are not pictured yet, I add those later on. Also at this point I forgot about the garment overlap at the front where they're supposed to button, so I had to alter the pattern slightly after this point. The denim fabric I'm using doesn't stretch very much so there are a few innovations I made to classic jeans pattern: I added two additional vertical seams that are mostly hidden by the pockets to give the butt some additional roundness. The pockets are fake and mostly hide these seams. And then at the crotch, the seam design is more similar to panties than jeans with the two crotch panels.
shorts_sewing_05_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_05_1200x800_noexif.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1288 times
shorts_sewing_06_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_06_1200x800_noexif.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1288 times
shorts_sewing_07_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_07_1200x800_noexif.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1288 times

randomname1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by randomname1 »

I'm posting a photo of my sewing machine and other basic supplies. I'm using a Brother SM3701 - it's a pretty basic starter sewing machine. Also push pins, velcro, buttons, thread, bobbins, seam ripper, sewing scissors, etc.

So now at this point I've cut out the posterboard panel templates and taped them on my denim fabric. I've traced them on the denim with ballpoint pen. That gives me the outline of the panels plus seam allowance. Then I take them out, cut out the centers with an X-acto knife place the rings back on the denim, and trace the interior. That gives me the contour of the original panels (without the seam allowance). Then I cut out the denim pieces and start pinning some of them to begin to sew seams.
shorts_sewing_08_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_08_1200x800_noexif.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 1236 times
shorts_sewing_09_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_09_1200x800_noexif.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 1236 times
shorts_sewing_10_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_10_1200x800_noexif.png (2.18 MiB) Viewed 1236 times
shorts_sewing_11_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_11_1200x800_noexif.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 1236 times

poppy70
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by poppy70 »

Will be interesting to see the final result and how you manage to squeeze it on.

Jo
Poppys girls
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
click on image to go to their thread

randomname1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by randomname1 »

poppy70 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:43 am Will be interesting to see the final result and how you manage to squeeze it on.
Hi Poppy, yeah I'm excited about finishing the shorts too. So putting them on is one area where I think I can improve doll clothes vs. "human clothes." My plan is for the front zipper and button to be fake / non-functional. Then she will put on her shorts by sticking her right leg through a single right leg hole, pulling them up, and then they will velcro at the hip on the left side. Much easier than putting on human shorts! (if it works and if they fit - haha).

Stocking_Hunter

Post by Stocking_Hunter »

There are some definite skillz playing in this thread. :D

Out_Of_Sync
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Out_Of_Sync »

Cool project! Are you using a fabric with a good bit of stretch?
Jiusheng-Doll 163F with "Evelyn" Head
SM Doll 160f Silicone with heads 11 (Alice), 60 (Sydney), X2 (Jasmine), X8 ?
Private Island Beauties TPE Island Girls Eden, Hope, Isabella, Mina & Ellowyn
SM Doll 149b #56 "Angélique"
SM Doll 156c Riley (X8)
SM Doll 168c Cherry (102)
Kristi (32)
SM Doll 168c Lisa (X8)
SM Doll 168c Keri (X10)
WMDoll 170D 356 (Vix)
XYDoll 163c in white TPE Misa (Victoria)
Don't let the doll overlords kill your buzz.

Raviolin
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Raviolin »

Can't wait to see the result, but it seems off to a good start so far! I myself have a lot of customisation ideas for my "soon to be delivered" first girl, also coming from an artistic background (2d animation & videogames), I can't help with the flow of ideas coming. Unlike you I'm an absolute noob in CAD or Blender so that would be my learning curve to start printing custom stuff haha

randomname1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by randomname1 »

Stocking_Hunter wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:48 am There are some definite skillz playing in this thread. :D
Thanks so much, I appreciate it! Hopefully it turns out ok. In any case it will be a learning experience.
Out_Of_Sync wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:56 am Cool project! Are you using a fabric with a good bit of stretch?
Thank you. No I'm just using regular denim. It has a slight stretch, but not very much. It's not like spandex or whatever "jeggings" fabric is. I've been told by experienced sewers that stretch fabric is difficult to work with and the cheap consumer sewing machines don't like it very much. But I'd like to make a few stretch fabric projects when I become more skilled.
Raviolin wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:26 am Can't wait to see the result, but it seems off to a good start so far! I myself have a lot of customisation ideas for my "soon to be delivered" first girl, also coming from an artistic background (2d animation & videogames), I can't help with the flow of ideas coming. Unlike you I'm an absolute noob in CAD or Blender so that would be my learning curve to start printing custom stuff haha
Congrats on your doll order! Hope she arrives to you soon and safely. Oh well I have done some 3D modeling but there's no computers involved here. All analog tools and done by hand. About the 3D: I was just saying its useful to be able to visualize and think in 3D - to understand how fabric will deform and wrap around 3D forms. I look forward to seeing the looks you create for your doll!

Taeyeon
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Taeyeon »

Hello jr_geppetto,

it is so nice you can make own short trouser for your doll!
You are so good.
It looks so very tight, but velcro will make easier putting on.
I like it very much^^

TaeYeon
(。ᵔᵔ。) SooYoung's pages (DS/Ex-lite/Sino T158) and album

사랑은 그저 사랑이다. 절대 설명 될 수 없다.
Love is just love. It can never be explained.

4891d
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by 4891d »

Very interesting method. :thumbs_up: I can't wait to see the shorts on your doll.

You might be interested in Slayers's threads. He has made particularly successful modifications of clothes, which seem to be tailor-made for his dolls.
His threads aren't easy to spot (he does one per shoot, there are 100 in all! 8O ). I put a link for the first, then just click on the name of Slayers, a window opens and at the bottom you can click to access all his topics.

viewtopic.php?p=2176717#p2176717

Links to 4891d's dolls-stories. : viewtopic.php?t=156068
Saaskiya, my beautiful gift (Zelex GE04) : viewtopic.php?t=154462
Trixie came to me (Funwest Dolls Trixie) : viewtopic.php?t=155900
Eurydice, a nice surprise (Elsa Babe RHC019)

randomname1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by randomname1 »

Taeyeon wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:37 am it is so nice you can make own short trouser for your doll!
You are so good.
It looks so very tight, but velcro will make easier putting on.
I like it very much^^
Thank you, TaeYeon. But no, I am just a beginner and I have a lot to learn. I am going to keep trying to improve and see what I can make.
4891d wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:00 am
Very interesting method. :thumbs_up: I can't wait to see the shorts on your doll.
You might be interested in Slayers's threads. He has made particularly successful modifications of clothes, which seem to be tailor-made for his dolls.

Hey thank you for this link, I appreciate it, ok I'm going to check this out in a bit. I've been looking for other doll clothing designers.

randomname1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by randomname1 »

Ok here is some more progress. One approach I'm using is two different colors of thread: blue matching the denim and the traditional yellow for jeans stitching. My approach is to use the blue for the basic garment construction so if I make a mistake it won't really show up. And then I do the yellow decorative "topstitching" at the end once I have the different panels mostly sewn together.

Also in these progress shots you can see I'm cutting slits or notches in areas of the curved panels. That's so I can fold the seam borders over and sew them without the fabric deforming too badly. My sewing machine is not happy when it has to sew several layers of denim and sometimes gets stuck. The back area with that V-shape was difficult because it was the intersection of 4 different panels.
shorts_sewing_12_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_12_1200x800_noexif.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 970 times
shorts_sewing_13_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_13_1200x800_noexif.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 970 times
shorts_sewing_14_1200x800_noexif.png
shorts_sewing_14_1200x800_noexif.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 970 times

INFORMATIONS