Starpery.com

Texturing tool for TPE

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
AIMD

Texturing tool for TPE

Post by AIMD »

Wheezer had mentioned something about stippling with a heat gun and a stippling brush for texture and it got me to thinking there might be an easier way. So here we go and if others have ways of improvement please mention it.
This uses a regular soldering iron and depends on the speed at which you work. You'll see smoke in the pictures but that's because of posing for the pictures.

First. copper wire, solid and braided
Tools_and_wire.jpg
Tools_and_wire.jpg (355.36 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Strip the insulation.
Insulation_stripped.jpg
Insulation_stripped.jpg (314.56 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Then twist and fold until it fits snugly in the soldering iron, making sure to have a "brush" end.
Braided_wire_twisted.jpg
Braided_wire_twisted.jpg (307.25 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Screw it into the soldering iron. The copper wire is soft enough to deform.
Braided_wire_in_soldering_iron.jpg
Braided_wire_in_soldering_iron.jpg (317.75 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Wait until it's hot and then stipple or draw lines.
Smooth_TPE.jpg
Smooth_TPE.jpg (507.71 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Texturing.jpg
Texturing.jpg (782.83 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Textured_surface.jpg
Textured_surface.jpg (560.9 KiB) Viewed 456 times
(if there is a better way please comment)

Now for solid wire sculpting using solid house copper wire.
Solid_copper_house_wire.jpg
Solid_copper_house_wire.jpg (286.11 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Bend to shape, which can be any shape or straight if you prefer (like a foam cutter). Experiment with length but too long might not get hot enough. The right length though and you probably won't have to worry about smoke.
Bent_wire.jpg
Bent_wire.jpg (338.35 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Edge sculpting.
Edge_sculpt.jpg
Edge_sculpt.jpg (337.08 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Digging out divots.
Attachments
Sculpting.jpg
Sculpting.jpg (430.68 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Starting.jpg
Starting.jpg (457.52 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Any ideas I may present, as long as they do not infringe on prior works, are open source and may not be encumbered/patented in any manner.

AIMD

Re: Texturing tool for TPE

Post by AIMD »

Plug.jpg
Plug.jpg (478.25 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Tool can also be used for heat joining under the surface and surface smoothing. Not a good job here but it is for demonstration purposes.
Smoothing.jpg
Smoothing.jpg (496.49 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Joined.jpg
Joined.jpg (543.36 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Posted this way because for some reason the whole post wouldn't go in one shot. Maybe there is a file limit per post even though it's under the size limit.
Any ideas I may present, as long as they do not infringe on prior works, are open source and may not be encumbered/patented in any manner.

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

Was just thinking, this might be able to be used for hair punching into TPE by creating a heat bond. Could use a single very thin wire from the braided wire or like a brush. Of course the hair has to have a higher melting point than the TPE or soldering iron. Once again, experimentation will tell.

Ant999

Post by Ant999 »

If you could find aluminum or stainless wire, it would be better, because from a chemistry point of view, copper is bad news for most kinds of rubber. Granted, the copper does not stay in contact with the TPE for very long, but copper initiates the chemical degrading of rubber, so the best is no copper at all. Stainless for the thin brush, aluminum would not be stiff enough, aluminum for the thick tool, stainless would be hard to bend.
Just my 10c worth.

TYSONCHICKEN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TYSONCHICKEN »

Try a piece of a seatbelt, soaked in baby or mineral oil. Use a heat gun and temperature gun. Heat area until it is approximately 200 degrees Fahrenheit, then use the seat belt piece to gently press against the area. You can Pat gently. Be careful not to make any creases. You’ll get a feel for it.

Also, fine grit sand paper (180+). Very important to let it sit in baby/mineral oil before each use. Heat area, gently pat with sand paper, repeat. If you do not use enough baby oil, you will get sand paper grit in the doll.

For sculpting, I use a mini leather iron with a temperature dial. I usually run it around 200 degree Celsius. I also have a plastic welder gun with a flat tip, but it is difficult to keep a steady temperature.
"I am simply an artist doing what I love, to create Art for other people to enjoy. I make a living out of what I do and no more... if what I do becomes a Job, then I'll quit!"

Guy Louis-XVI

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Seatbelt material has been mentioned as being quite successful
Depends on what appeals to the individual, whether fine grit Wet n Dry (180), Seatbelt or anything else :)

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

Tried stainless steel aircraft cable and stainless solid wire due to the concern with copper reacting with rubber. (Not sure about TPE though since copper reacts with the sulphur in rubber and not sure if sulphur is used in TPE.) Heat did not transfer well, maybe 1/2" (12mm) from the tip of the soldering iron so not useful at all. The soldering iron is 25w so probably a higher wattage is needed for stainless to be effective. Don't have any aluminum wire to play with so didn't test that but did have some aluminum window screen. That yielded some interesting results for texturing. Still a work in progress with trying to create a one-handed tool.
Wrapped screen around soldering iron
Wrapped screen around soldering iron
Frankenmonster.jpg (430.71 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Looks better in real life
Looks better in real life
Texture.jpg (553.35 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Another angle
Another angle
Texture1.jpg (602.43 KiB) Viewed 327 times
An aluminum mesh with wider holes might produce more realistic results.
Suggestions and comments are always welcome.

Ant999

Post by Ant999 »

AIMD wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:02 pm Tried stainless steel aircraft cable and stainless solid wire due to the concern with copper reacting with rubber. (Not sure about TPE though since copper reacts with the sulphur in rubber and not sure if sulphur is used in TPE.)
Sorry for harping somewhat off the subject, but reactions with sulfur are not the problem, TPE is not vulcanized, there should not be any sulfur. Copper's villainy comes from the fact that it has two oxidation states that are not too far apart in terms of energy, so it easily jumps back and forth between the two: when it increases its oxidation state, it gets oxygen from the air, and when it decreases its oxidation state, it has oxygen to give away, that it gladly passes on to your piece of rubber, oxidizing the rubber. Polymers differ, some become stiffer and eventually brittle, some become goo, not sure about TPE, but oxidation is bad news, any way you look at it. The heat energy from the soldering iron just makes the party merrier.
It was more than 40 years ago that I studied polymer chemistry, but this is what I was taught.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Wowsers!
Thanks Ant, added this to my resource file :)

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Very good on the sculpting tools.
It is nice when users develop tools for TPE repairs and updates.
Well done !

Copper has been shown in some blends to cause TPE deterioration with extended contact.
This usually is with wired fingers where the wired breaks, copper contacts the TPE and eventually you get a green rot.
Thus I would use care with copper brushes for heated work. You don't want bits to break off and embed in the TPE.

A good alternative is WIRE BRUSHES. The come in various sizes and shapes, shaft sizes and with non copper wire.
For your application you might want to look into those designed for Dremels or other hand held rotary tools.
Insert in soldering iron, heat up and away you go. Flare the ends to get the effect you want.

What I have found with texture sculpting is to go a bit exaggerated with the first pass heat tool stuff.
Then follow up with hot air to knock down the top edges and give a subtle result.
You might find that handy.

Again, great to see home made TPE repair tooling !

Cheers!
...W...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Babel99
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Babel99 »

Could be outdated information but I remember and old thread where Mishka was heating up the TPE with an air gun and texturing it by lightly tapping the TPE with sand paper. The result was astonishing. I did not try it myself but wondering if you guys ever tried it.
Jael - (YL 148) viewtopic.php?f=212&t=73333

Miriame - (SM 136) viewtopic.php?f=269&t=102115

Beth - (SM 157G) viewtopic.php?f=269&t=149637

Brooke - (Starpery 148F) viewtopic.php?t=175783

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Babel99 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:58 am Could be outdated information but I remember and old thread where Mishka was heating up the TPE with an air gun and texturing it by lightly tapping the TPE with sand paper. The result was astonishing. I did not try it myself but wondering if you guys ever tried it.
That is a common technique for area texturing.
Oil target, heat with hot air, apply texture from a material.
Just make sure the material is cleaned and supple prior to use.

It works well for AREA work with large and not too complex structures.
The finer the detail area or with more curves it gets challenging.
For that you start to get into heated tooling like this.

Cheers!
...W...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Babel99
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Babel99 »

Wheezer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:21 am
Babel99 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:58 am Could be outdated information but I remember and old thread where Mishka was heating up the TPE with an air gun and texturing it by lightly tapping the TPE with sand paper. The result was astonishing. I did not try it myself but wondering if you guys ever tried it.
That is a common technique for area texturing.
Oil target, heat with hot air, apply texture from a material.
Just make sure the material is cleaned and supple prior to use.

It works well for AREA work with large and not too complex structures.
The finer the detail area or with more curves it gets challenging.
For that you start to get into heated tooling like this.

Cheers!
...W...
Make sense!
Jael - (YL 148) viewtopic.php?f=212&t=73333

Miriame - (SM 136) viewtopic.php?f=269&t=102115

Beth - (SM 157G) viewtopic.php?f=269&t=149637

Brooke - (Starpery 148F) viewtopic.php?t=175783

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

Ant999 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:58 am
AIMD wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:02 pm Tried stainless steel aircraft cable and stainless solid wire due to the concern with copper reacting with rubber. (Not sure about TPE though since copper reacts with the sulphur in rubber and not sure if sulphur is used in TPE.)
Sorry for harping somewhat off the subject, but reactions with sulfur are not the problem, TPE is not vulcanized, there should not be any sulfur. Copper's villainy comes from the fact that it has two oxidation states that are not too far apart in terms of energy, so it easily jumps back and forth between the two: when it increases its oxidation state, it gets oxygen from the air, and when it decreases its oxidation state, it has oxygen to give away, that it gladly passes on to your piece of rubber, oxidizing the rubber. Polymers differ, some become stiffer and eventually brittle, some become goo, not sure about TPE, but oxidation is bad news, any way you look at it. The heat energy from the soldering iron just makes the party merrier.
It was more than 40 years ago that I studied polymer chemistry, but this is what I was taught.
Thanks for the information, it is very informative! Would brass cause the same reaction or would the alloy somehow mitigate the problem? Copper is so nice because of the heat conductivity whereas aluminum is only 60% of that. Brass has a high heat conductivity as well but the copper in the alloy might cause the same oxidation problems.

Ant999

Post by Ant999 »

AIMD wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:23 pm
Ant999 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:58 am
Thanks for the information, it is very informative! Would brass cause the same reaction or would the alloy somehow mitigate the problem? Copper is so nice because of the heat conductivity whereas aluminum is only 60% of that. Brass has a high heat conductivity as well but the copper in the alloy might cause the same oxidation problems.
Now you have me stumped, metallurgy is out of my field. It sort of stands to reason that brass will be less troublesome than pure copper, that is one of the reasons for making the alloy, to make it less susceptible to oxidation, but this is an opinion, not to be confused with scientific fact.

INFORMATIONS