betterlovedoll.com

All Dolled Up: The Documentary

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
mahtek
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

All Dolled Up: The Documentary

Post by mahtek »

Two nights ago I met Midiman in Lima, OH to watch the documentary, "All Dolled Up" and spend some time talking and reminiscing.

This post is a review of the documentary, by one who was in it.

This will be brief, as I don't want this to be a spoiler for those who haven't seen it.

Basically, the doc consists of interviews with various doll owners and their significant others, if applicable. These interviews are tied together by the travels of Midiman and Bianca, the Realdoll from "Lars and the Real Girl" and three Teddybabes as they travel to Bianca's creator to have the "real" installed in her.

Midiman, Bianca and the Teddybabes provide comic relief and continuity, while the owners tell their stories and provide the viewer with a vision of what it is like to be a doll owner and why we came to be one. In this I can say the documentary excels. The owners tell their stories in a heartfelt and honest way, and they are not edited for "spin". Having met most of those interviewed, I can say that they are portrayed as they are. The film has a natural flow and would be enjoyable to anyone, male or female, doll owner or not.

Back when I agreed to be part of this film, I was told that we doll owners would be held in a positive light for a change.

Promise kept. Thanks, Midiman!

Mahtek & his Ladies
All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here, in my arms. Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm.

Doll Knight XIX
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Formerly known as TG megami - The Frozen North, USA

Re: All Dolled Up: The Documentary

Post by Doll Knight XIX »

8O A legend returns!

As one who has seen the doc about...what, I think it's six times now, I totally agree with your assessment, Mahtek. I also have to say that your interview segments really do justice to the love doll owning community. Your comments about realizing Phoebe's mortality especially struck a chord in me, as I have recently purchased a 2006 Real Doll that is in much need of repairs.

I really enjoyed your segments and am pleased as punch that you've come back to TDF to share your views on the doc. You seem like a great guy, Mahtek, and I'd love to meet you at Hershey in 2012. :)

I hope I'll have a chance to get to know you more over time and meet the man behind the interview.
We will start anew, on here, soon. We can't wait!

casquetero
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by casquetero »

Is the documentary already available for purchase / download? I would like to watch it...
You can check dolls (and sex toy reviews) at my blog: http://thecasqueterofiles.com/

How many dolls I have? Complete list and description of my harem: https://thecasqueterofiles.com/my-doll-harem/

Yoube Bosley
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Yoube Bosley »

mahtek wrote:Two nights ago I met Midiman in Lima, OH to watch the documentary, "All Dolled Up" and spend some time talking and reminiscing...

Midiman, Bianca and the Teddybabes provide comic relief and continuity, while the owners tell their stories and provide the viewer with a vision of what it is like to be a doll owner and why we came to be one. In this I can say the documentary excels.
That's not surprising. I've gotten a laugh or two out of Nita and Samantha's antics. Dana has some of Nita's temper. Sigh, that's redheads for you.
So here’s what I’m thinking.  I’ll be Charlie and you can all be my angels.  Except you.  You be Bosley.

--- Peter Griffin

Photos of Dana and Amyliu: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10735

Doll Knight XIX
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Formerly known as TG megami - The Frozen North, USA

Post by Doll Knight XIX »

casquetero wrote:Is the documentary already available for purchase / download? I would like to watch it...
Not as yet, Casquetero. Midi has a distribution contract in place with the doc set to be broadcast in Poland first and another country shortly after. From the sound of things, it may not be aired in the U.S. until some time later, due in part to the conservative nature of the media in this country.

However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were shown at future TDF Meets, or elsewhere if an opportunity came up. I'd suggest you ask Midi about it if you're interested in seeing it. It's really a great film and deserves to be seen. It's truly and asset to the love doll owning community.
We will start anew, on here, soon. We can't wait!

CJD
Ex-Member

Post by CJD »

I too was a participant in this documentary and was shown a private view yesterday. I have to agree with everything Mahtek said. Its a well rounded, lightearted, postive and honest documentary. Great for mainstream as well as those of us who have dolls. My dear wife said after seeing it, if she didn't know about these dolls, and saw the interviews, It would have changed any pre-concieved steriotypes about dolls and those that have them for the better.

Midiman stayed to his word and produced a top notch documentary and treated the participants very well...Thanks Mdidman.

Edit: I think out of any documentary, this one is definitly good to introduce to a more conservative media/country.
" Look deep into my ey....er sexy boobies, and fall under their spell. "

mahtek
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by mahtek »

TG Magami,

Thanks for the welcome!

The event in Hershey comes during the busy season for my job, but I do plan on attending if at all possible next year.

Mahtek & his Ladies
All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here, in my arms. Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm.

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

I saw the Doc in Hershey, and will throw my two hundredths of an overly devaluated dollar in. It is everything the posters above have said. Which IMO is the real reason why the so-called "overly conservative" American networks are reluctant to take it on. Not because of it's content (they love sensationalism/stereotyping), but because of how that content is presented; we aren't being portrayed as anti-social perverts, but as regular just like thee and me human beings.

The "overly conservative" American networks didn't blanch at the other presentations of doll owners ("Taboo", for example). This one doesn't shock as much as suprise and disarm this preferred pre-conception.

Anyway, that's MHO
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

1jayjay
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by 1jayjay »

Thanks for the review mahtek. :D

I've only seen the trailers, but form what you say, and the parts that I've seen, this is a documentry that has a big future, when broadcast. It should be of great interest and very enlightening to those people that take the time to watch it, that aren't members of the doll community.great work midiman.:D

midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by midiman »

Thank you Mahtek and CJD for posting your comments. It especially means lot seeing people who were in it happy with the final production.

There was an inquiry from Poland, only. They haven't moved on it.

I wouldn't rule out the North American market yet either, Szalinski ;) We are just getting started.

We'll see where it goes. I can always go back to the drawing board and make changes, especially owing to its modular nature.

If I get my costs back I will be doing another. I have a few good outlines.

I am bucking the system by not delivering sensationalism and weirdness. The humor won't appeal to many, but should hit a more mainstream viewership which is where it was targeted at.

I expect DVD's are not likely for at least a year :( Sorry. Has to do the broadcast circuit first.

Cheers,
Midiman
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

Mechwizard
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mechwizard »

I'll look forward to seeing it.
Mechwizard
Consort to the Queen of Curves
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10796

doodman
Former Member

Post by doodman »

Hi Guys
I have seen the doc and I am inpresses with the way midi
told the story. And the way he portrays the lives as a doll owner
hed did a nockout job. Even how he portrays me in the doc
he shows how funny I am and my love of dolls 8)
All I can say is great job midi :glou:
my dolls are here got love them
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/index.php?cat=10489

mahtek
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by mahtek »

I think it will eventually get aired in North America, but it will need to get some notice in other countries first.

Since it's not low brow or shocking, it won't get past the gatekeepers in the distribution chain, here. The gatekeepers only want sure bets, that facilitates them retaining their positions. Until someone higher up sees or hears of it and tells them to "find this guy", it won't have a chance of showing on this side of the pond.

Luckily, there's plenty of folks in media looking for "The Next Big Thing". Let's hope they find it. :wink:

Mahtek & his Ladies

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

mahtek wrote:Since it's not low brow or shocking, it won't get past the gatekeepers in the distribution chain, here. The gatekeepers only want sure bets, that facilitates them retaining their positions. Until someone higher up sees or hears of it and tells them to "find this guy", it won't have a chance of showing on this side of the pond.
Fortunately we have the ability to grab good press. We'll get noticed. The main reason why we are on the other side of the pond is that the distribution company is on the other side. One very large well known North American broadcaster is in fact looking at it now.

We just need a little patience, and to hit the media at the right moment. Keep in mind their is still a lot of human interest and weirdness just in the dolls themselves. It is just more mainstream.

And if it doesn't get taken up by a broadcaster it will go to Youtube or the like and still get lots of exposure for our community. Such is the plight of pushing a less main stream topic more mainstream ;)
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

Playtime
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Playtime »

G'day everyone,...

Well I for one hope that this North american Broadcaster picks it up and gets the ball rolling.
Once it is out there it should generate its own momentum and garner interest from others as it go's.
This should make it easier for the next 'Installment'.

Playtime.
Playing with dolls is a joy!

Kaori's Antics

WARNING:  The Dolls are starting to play back!

INFORMATIONS