Starpery.com

LuAnne and the hand job :)

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
RGC_0767
Former Member

Re: LuAnne and the hand job :)

Post by RGC_0767 »

Some progress made in new finger design. Looks good. Now to find out if it works good.
NewFingerBones.jpg
The knuckles added are basically just a cosmetic thing. My biggest concern is if this is going to fit in the TPE mold finger holes.
This can go either right or left hand. just reverse fingers.
Do not think this will be a super grip. More for posing. Will not hold a 2 pound hammer :)
Good absorption against tips being hit head on. They fold with the blow. Was poking them against the wall. :)

TripleA
Doll
Doll

Post by TripleA »

A thin coating of Vaseline will make them slide right in! Looks GREAT! ! Nice work! :razz:
April Annabelle Atleur - AKA - TripleA

My Gallery Link: http://missatleur.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10003

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

TripleA wrote:A thin coating of Vaseline will make them slide right in! Looks GREAT! ! Nice work! :razz:
Quite eerie looking :) I'm going to try them on the hand I replaced. It is still open. hopefully the "knuckles" are not too thick to cause trouble sliding in.
Fingers appear thinner than what they do in the pic.
The thumb I went with all 4 strands. with an outer wrap.
Have not tried to install yet. Some time this week will play with it. For wire, approx 30 feet total for this hand. (That's being generous)
R&D is fun isn't it??
Thank u TripleA at CC's place :)

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

KnuckledHand.jpg
This second attempt at satisfying myself as far as a hand replacement for LuAnne has been more challenging. The fingers slide in real nice... even remove nice!!
Sized the thumb and pinky slightly longer than the plain wire replacement that I'd first done.
Removal was a breeze. Until I pried a bit more on the tube to open it more. the weld broke. :) Not a big deal. Having a MIG is handy. If I didn't then I'd be not too thrilled. It was a very slight tack originally. Beefed it up some.
Basically built hand similar to the other one. I did add mesh/epoxy only to keep it from flopping around, and to keep the wires straight. May have to shave off some sheathing on the sides so it slides in better inside tubing.
LuAnne will have yet another new hand tomorrow or Wednesday. Wow!! 2 news hands in less than 2 weeks she is one spoiled little lady :)
Of course will post it here how it all goes. And how this idea works and looks. Not sure if cosmetic knuckles will really show much difference. It was just another idea.
Was poking them against the wall. These fingers are like rubber :) Sort of neat. Should not poke through skin easily.
Like-Rubber.jpg

TripleA
Doll
Doll

Post by TripleA »

Love is always a very strong motivator for sucess! 8)

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

TripleA wrote:Love is always a very strong motivator for sucess! 8)
Certainly! Now this little old hand repair, is nothing compared to a video I watched of some guy (CC) :) Screwing a sharpened tube down a ladies neck, then cutting up her collar bone. That was quite a feat that neck replacement. Done neatly. I'd be sweating bullets!!
Thank you for documenting all that you do. It really gives us an "inside" look of how the girls are made! I had a feeling it'd not be a great idea to hang the girls from the neck for storage. Just by the creaking sound :) Your neck improvement would ease that worry.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Just some more useful (or useless) information. Have not installed the hand back in, it's all ready. Tomorrow. Gonna fit like a glove, even better :)
Just some sizes of "wrist/palm" tube for a Rifrano built 140 cm doll.
tubingdimensions.jpg

TripleA
Doll
Doll

Post by TripleA »

Thank you very much for posting complete information. Most don't post the relevant info or don't post complete info like make and size!
Thank You!

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Hand is all back functional. Have a bit of tweaking to do before I seal up her wound. Have learned many things during all of this. Even a small mistake can make a big difference. Length of fingers is a crucial step in all of this. get that right the first time, and you have the job beat!!
The "knuckle" idea was not really worth the extra time as well. lol
TPE-stuffing.jpg
Just so her wrist and forearm do not move so freely. It turns 90 degrees easily with out any sort of "stiffener" :)
Fingers.jpg
Getting the correct length of wire is key. Easy to stretch the fingers if slightly too long
Softgrip.jpg
Her hand looks more relaxed :)
Softgrip2.jpg
Grip is not super strong. She is a lady. with a delicate grip :)
Her index and middle finger are slightly too long. These fingers do insert and remove quite easily. So will trim a little bit from them. The original mold ends about 1/4"+
from the nail. so any pushing on the end of finger will cause it to stretch. The hand feels more gentle and not as stiff as using regular wire.
It's all in the name of doll research :)
Stay tuned for my laughable plastic surgery skills.... :plaidskirt:

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

DoneDeal-R-Hand.jpg
Cut-R-hand.jpg
Just close up cut. Done!!
Will pull her wrist down some to close up wound better before
"welding"
I am much happier with this...
Her hand is more equal in feel and in weight as the original. I'll leave her left hand until I need to fix it.
If it isn't broke, don't fix it :)

TripleA
Doll
Doll

Post by TripleA »

RGC_0767
I think your skills are to be commended! :thumbs_up: And I would bet that LuAnne would certainly agree!

If this whole thread proves anything at all it is that Manufacturers should take part in these types of threads! Maybe they could learn a thing or two! And I know that CC and I would love to hear the reasons that they can't accomplish what Doll Lovers do! There may be a very good and logical reason. It is one thing to do GREAT work on a very small "One or a limited few" but quite another to do it on a full production scale! But I would love to here first hand what that reason might be!

Anyway; CONGRATULATIONS AND GREAT WORK! Be proud you done GOOD! :glou: :glou: :glou:

SynthetikReality95
Ex-Member

Post by SynthetikReality95 »

Lol, the amount of views on this thread makes me think maybe people had something else in mind (by the title) :P

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

SynthetikReality95 wrote:Lol, the amount of views on this thread makes me think maybe people had something else in mind (by the title) :P
Yep!! Post a sexy pic on Doll Album and get some views. Post a sexy pic showing all, get a 100,000 views :) But it was a JOB. My hands got beat up more than hers. In fact, when I first got access to the wire tube. I needed to pry it loose some, My wonderful choice of tool was a knife :) Of course it slipped and I stabbed my thumb. She came out unhurt. That's all that matters :)

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

TripleA wrote:
RGC_0767
I think your skills are to be commended! :thumbs_up: And I would bet that LuAnne would certainly agree!

If this whole thread proves anything at all it is that Manufacturers should take part in these types of threads! Maybe they could learn a thing or two! And I know that CC and I would love to hear the reasons that they can't accomplish what Doll Lovers do! There may be a very good and logical reason. It is one thing to do GREAT work on a very small "One or a limited few" but quite another to do it on a full production scale! But I would love to here first hand what that reason might be!

Anyway; CONGRATULATIONS AND GREAT WORK! Be proud you done GOOD! :glou: :glou: :glou:
Production costs must be kept as low as possible. I looked up "Rifrano". Their North American exports are only 30% of sales. It's the highest for all their exports. But was surprised it was as low as it was for North America.
Any companies I've worked for with exception of a few, were real cheap :) Get it out the door fast and cheap. Seems to be a 21st century business model.
It may be why the Real Dolls are much more money. There is a pride in their workmanship. Plus, if I paid 5000+ for a doll, I'd want some sort of decent
warranty! and would expect it to be defect free for quite a while.
Many thanks to the Miss Atleur team!! It was through them I learned how to cut TPE without butchering :) Their videos are very helpful, and the 3 ladies there are cute too :)
:) :D :lol:

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

onemoreaddition.jpg
Have a 2 pound TPE toy I bought from Amazon, before buying LuAnne
Never have I seen such a thing to seep oil or whatever the hell it is
coming from this thing.
LuLu enjoyed modelling the thing though :)
Tons of TPE to experiment with. (Destroy)
lulutoy.jpg

INFORMATIONS