betterlovedoll.com

Another Midsummer Roadtrip

For Doll related Photography, Graphics, and Web Design.

Moderator: Swan

Lynne
Doll
Doll

Another Midsummer Roadtrip

Post by Lynne »

A Midsummer Roadtrip is becoming a bit of an accidental tradition for us - last year we went out into the hills nearby as a relief from the several months of lockdown that we had. This year, M was invited to a wedding over in Shropshire (kind of between Birmingham and Wales for those that don't know) and I was allowed to come along for the ride! It's not an area that M is familiar with, so on Friday I got ready and with some route planning done I took up the task of Navigator:

It's a reasonable two hour drive if the traffic and weather is good (both were bad! :D ) but we had left plenty of time to have an explore beforehand. I found somewhere interesting called The Long Mynd, which is a steep sided hill surrounded by little villages and quaint market towns. This gave us chance to stretch our legs, mine were a little bit wobbly when I got out:

The view was worth it though - the heavy rain had passed and visibility was a lot better:

The drive back down was most interesting - the roads are very narrow with plenty of suicidal sheep(!) and sheer drops down the side to the valley below. Needless to say we didn't take pictures as we had to concentrate! We made it to the venue safely and in plenty of time. Sadly, as I wasn't invited (bleh!) I had to stay in the car, and I hid under one of M's big coats. Don't tell him, but I did get out and have a wander about when nobody was looking :whistle: Saturday was the wedding which was at a huge old castle (photo sort of cropped to hide the innocent :wink: ):

M had a really good time - we missed each other a lot, and he said I would have loved the bed! However Sunday came, and being a bloody good person, M decided to help out his ex-Wife, her son and the mother-in-law - they were going to take a taxi to the nearest train station, but he offered them a ride instead - this was great fun as I gave up the front seat to her mother (who would struggle to get in the back) and sat with the other two - I think they liked me a lot - and his ex was very complimentary about my hair!

We dropped them off at the station, and once I jumped back into the front seat we continued our trip together. We were now heading west and into Wales. I've been to Wales before - I've seen a few places after the UK doll meets, but this was a bit further north. I had recently learned that the Welsh word for lake is "Llyn", which is curiously similar to my name(!) so our first stop was at Llyn Efyrnwy, aka Lake Vyrnwy. It's a manmade lake, built to supply drinking water to Liverpool in the 1800s. It has a high dam that you can drive across, and an interesting straining tower that looks like a gothic castle! (not our picture btw):
960px-Vyrnwy_tower.jpg
960px-Vyrnwy_tower.jpg (198.1 KiB) Viewed 787 times
The main area around the dam was very busy, so we took a drive around the road that loops around the lake, stopping at somewhere a little quieter:

We agreed that the view was very pleasing!

A lot of the shoreline was planted with trees back in the 1890s - mainly Douglas Fir, but some deciduous trees have been planted more recently. One of the older conifers holds the title of the tallest tree in the country. We don't think it was any of these ones, but they're pretty tall compared to me!

After a while, I tired slightly of M taking photos, and became interested in the wildlife and the various groups of cyclists and walkers passing by:

So eventually, we packed up and travelled further west - as suggested by M (I'd find out why later!). This meant driving over some very challenging mountain roads - lots of hills and bends - but the sun was finally starting to come out, which made our last destination even better!
Lyngheiður Tórsdóttir - part Viking Warrior, part English rose.

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere" - Carl Sagan

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams" - Arthur O'Shaughnessy (and Willy Wonka!)

Have a look at my Doll Album! Also I'm now on Instagram!

Lynne
Doll
Doll

Re: Another Midsummer Roadtrip

Post by Lynne »

Part 2:

Eventually we hit some main roads, and after following plenty of slow caravanners and "people who really don't know how to drive", according to M :lol: we got as far west as we possibly could. M had remembered that I've never been to the seaside with him, and as we stopped at the top of a hill, I realised that was where we were!

The view from the top was stunning in the warm sunshine, we could see all the way across the bay as far as Barmouth:

At the bottom of the hill, where the railway runs to, is a little village called Fairbourne. It isn't that much different from most seaside villages, except that it has it's own mini railway running along the sea wall, and as a bonus - you can part right alongside the beach! We were somewhere on top of the end of that headland in the last picture:

It was high tide when we arrived, so the sandy part of the beach was under water, leaving just the pebbled section that helps to protect the village behind it. There was also a lot of these concrete blocks and a "pillbox" that were placed there as a defence in WW2:

It was nice and quiet, so after we had drunk some coffee and chilled out for a bit...

...we got out and had a look around:

We didn't stay too long as we had to get back home - and as you can see from the photo, the sun had disappeared, and rain was threatening! So we made preparations to make our way back east and towards England again (well, I sat in the car and let M do it!):

We got lucky, not long after we departed the heavens opened! Even in the rain, it is still a beautiful country:

We really enjoyed our trip together (I'll forgive M for the hiding in the car bit!) and fingers crossed we can make another journey somewhere soon :)

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere" - Carl Sagan

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams" - Arthur O'Shaughnessy (and Willy Wonka!)

bigchilli
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by bigchilli »

Absolutely fantastic stuff :thumbs_up:
She looks so cute

I love seeing dolls outside
Can't believe the stones on you guy's that take them out in public
Mad respect

Muninn
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Muninn »

Thank you! It's all in the planning and working out the quiet/safe spots. Mind you, I'm at the stage where friends, family, colleagues etc. know I'm somewhat "eccentric", and as for anyone else, I don't care that much about what they think.

Lynne would really like to go visit somewhere like London, but I've said no to that one!
(They/Them)
Companion of the lovely Lyngheiður a.k.a Lynne - A WM153 #85 - now she has a Doll Album!
Say Hi to her on "Dolls Alive"! - Lynne's Page

CF
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by CF »

What an adventure! Thank you for sharing! You found destinations as lovely as your doll!
Viva la megaboobs!
*My juicy Cherry: viewtopic.php?t=154759
*Z-cup Moira: viewtopic.php?t=138543
*BBW Breanna: viewtopic.php?t=143116
*Yulia: viewtopic.php?t=122950
*Tina viewtopic.php?t=121819
*Aurora Jolie: viewtopic.php?t=106838
*World-famous Una Carha: viewtopic.php?t=93292

Abernathy

Post by Abernathy »

What a cuddly little story, truly loved it. I have fond memories of Great Britain.
Kaygo - JY 170, (Sigrid) head

Shirl McB
Doll
Doll

Post by Shirl McB »

Kudos to you, Muninn, for bringing Lynne along to enjoy the scenery. Looks like you both had an enjoyable trip with some good sightseeing. You're making me long for our drives out to the coast for ice cream.

SF comments whenever he hears of Shropshire, all he can think of is the Shropshire Slasher from the old Looney Tunes cartoon. ("Name?" "Shropshire Slasher." "Occupation?" "Shropshire Slasher.")

Flyer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Flyer »

A beautiful photo story. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Very inspiring ... :idea: :D :!:
Great job :D :thumbs_up:

gogodolls
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by gogodolls »

You are the most beautiful navigator a driver could dream of! :angel:
It looks like a pleasant trip to a beautiful country. :B-fly:

Beautiful pictures! :thumbs_up:
Cheers! :glou:
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

My Scrapbook: viewtopic.php?t=165313
Breast Surgery: viewtopic.php?t=161581

ZxDan

Post by ZxDan »

Wow,so cool! :P

jokerisalive
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by jokerisalive »

incredible pictures! the scenery is breathtaking. what a trip and what a gal to be accompanied by as well.

Cifer
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Cifer »

Very nice photos and pretty countryside. I like the variety of landscapes that were chosen for these pics. You have good near and far away shots with your lady in the photos. That pebble rock beach is very unique and even better with Lynne in the shot. I also like to drive my lady around so I enjoyed your posting. Good planning and great job on the pics!

Panther68
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Panther68 »

Great photos. Nice to see other doll owners take their gal, outdoors. :glou:

Lynne
Doll
Doll

Post by Lynne »

CF wrote:What an adventure! Thank you for sharing! You found destinations as lovely as your doll!
gogodolls wrote:You are the most beautiful navigator a driver could dream of! :angel:
jokerisalive wrote:incredible pictures! the scenery is breathtaking. what a trip and what a gal to be accompanied by as well.
Aww, I'm blushing! I'm still learning the navigating skill - I know where are and how to get to places, but I like to choose the mot direct route, which means challenging roads for M... but he loves it, probably :D

Can't wait to find more places to discover!

justintime
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by justintime »

Very nice photos and really enjoyable.
Looks like you two had a great time.
Thanks for bringing us along.
“Put … the Doll … down … and slowly back away.”
Shelby My Piece Of Heaven
Shelby Model Information

INFORMATIONS