Starpery.com

Another DIY Doll Stand

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Photo_guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Another DIY Doll Stand

Post by Photo_guy »

Previously posted elsewhere and requested that it be posted here in the inventors corner as well-

Ok, here is the simple DIY doll stand I put together. ‘Stand’ might not be correct, how about ‘kick stand’ as the doll leans on it.
Great for standing photos, both front or from behind. And because it’s black it is easily edited out of most shots.
IMG_5188.jpg
IMG_5188.jpg (175.72 KiB) Viewed 403 times
3” pvc pipe from the hardware store, the round ends of the T are big and smooth enough not to cause any damage to the TPE. I started with a 36” length and actually cut it down a couple times until I found the right height for my doll, which left it right at 34” including the T’s.

I have a utility area with a large rubber mat that I do much of my photography on, the rest of my house is ceramic tile. So I cut pieces from a discarded bicycle inner tube and stretched them around the base for traction on the varying floor surfaces.
IMG_5206.jpg
IMG_5206.jpg (122.15 KiB) Viewed 403 times
At the top end I slightly filed down the pipe so the T would come off and go back on easily so it can spin it around 90 degrees, depending on how I am trying to get the doll to rest against it.
IMG_5193.jpg
IMG_5193.jpg (268.83 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Jo can now demonstrate the ease of use.
IMG_5660.JPG
IMG_5660.JPG (364.23 KiB) Viewed 403 times
IMG_5649.JPG
IMG_5649.JPG (368.43 KiB) Viewed 403 times
I say that with an asterisk because like most things it does take some work to get right. Pro tip; have everything you need within reach before you start the balancing act. Standing there holding your doll upright and realizing you need something 6 ft away and your outstretched arm and leg combined are only 5.5 can lead to some profanity-filled YouTube worthy maneuvers.

This doesn’t work great for every scenario but for just a couple bucks has proved to be a pretty handy tool. It does take some patience and practice to get it to stand/balance right. If your doll is top heavy like many are, finding that balancing sweet-spot can be quite difficult sometimes.

Maybe I’m overly cautious but it’s always my fear that as soon as I turn my back Im going to hear a giant thud and turn to find Jo in a twisted heap on the floor.

Maybe someone can take this idea and improve upon it a bit, we’re all in this together :D
Every day is a good day, some are just better than others. - RJD
Jo- WM 167 H Cup Fitness Model
Amber- (Shared Body) Head #266

Stacy
Five Card Draw

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Re: Another DIY Doll Stand

Post by Tsall »

Simple and effective. Thanks for sharing. :thumbs_up:
Mara (Dreamdoll Tania) - holiday trip (outdoor photos) and introduction
Lucia (Passiondolls 160cm Muscle Doll) - introduction and photos
Keira (Phicen Arhian Pirate) - outdoor adventures

gogodolls
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by gogodolls »

Very clever, BRAVO! 👏👏👏

Thanks for sharing! 👍
Cheers! :glou:
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

My Scrapbook: viewtopic.php?t=165313
Breast Surgery: viewtopic.php?t=161581

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

Cheap and cheerful and works is exactly the kind of thing I like. I've been looking at official doll stands and 8O at the prices. So Thanks.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

4891d
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by 4891d »

Simple, cheap and effective. :thumbs_up:
Be careful however on a slippery floor, like a waxed floor; the support could slip despite the rubber on the base.. I think this risk could be eliminated with a cord connecting the base of the stand to a foot of the doll.
Links to 4891d's dolls-stories. : viewtopic.php?t=156068
Saaskiya, my beautiful gift (Zelex GE04) : viewtopic.php?t=154462
Trixie came to me (Funwest Dolls Trixie) : viewtopic.php?t=155900
Eurydice, a nice surprise (Elsa Babe RHC019)

Photo_guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Photo_guy »

4891d wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:17 am I think this risk could be eliminated with a cord connecting the base of the stand to a foot of the doll.
Oh yea, good idea. :thumbs_up:

That base moving just a half inch or a couple cm is enough to throw the balance off so it won't work. Using a cord would sure help once you've found that sweet spot, especially if the doll was going to remain there for any length of time.

Stacy
Five Card Draw

Photo_guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Photo_guy »

I could post another photo for this-

When I cut the original 36" pipe down a couple times I saved the pieces. These can be used as short extensions in the top T to make more of a 'seat' to fit under the dolls butt, as seen above in the first post-
IMG_5661.JPG
IMG_5661.JPG (287.23 KiB) Viewed 339 times

Stacy
Five Card Draw

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

iv'e heard of a stick up your butt before .. lol but hey if it works !

Photo_guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Photo_guy »

timetraveler1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:14 pm iv'e heard of a stick up your butt before .. lol but hey if it works !
:D

Stacy
Five Card Draw

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

glad to see that smiley face , sometimes i never know if someone is also going to have a sense of humor !

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

timetraveler1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:33 pm glad to see that smiley face , sometimes i never know if someone is also going to have a sense of humor !
That's 'internets' and forums for you. Sometimes I worry I'm gonna upset someone totally innocently so end up placing smilies all over the place in the hope of offsetting that. Yet sometimes I've seen people (elsewhere) clearly insult someone but then put up a smily to get away with it!

You just never really know. Such is the disadvantage of not seeing and hearing them face to face.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

INFORMATIONS