Starpery.com

Clothing and color bleed?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
NJ_dollyparton

Re: Clothing and color bleed?

Post by NJ_dollyparton »

Mikesdk wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:56 am I also know quite a bit when it comes to anxiety, but thats not what would stop me from going to thrift stores, i dont even care what people would think or the looks one might get, kinda thought it was funny when i went to buy my very first tampons while looking like a huge questionmark, but i just cant buy used clothing especially when it comes to lingerie its just not an option for me.

Ive never been a fan of the bolts under the feet so i made sure to get standing feets no bolts which is one feture that a doll has to have for me to buy it.

I did do another machine wash yesterday with the red items, i put in a white sock and i got a "nice" pink sock in return.....so yeah ill be doing quite a few more washes over the next week....
Ah yeah, one (generally) can't get lingerie at thrift stores period because of hygienic policies. Maybe once in a blue moon you'd get lucky with an unopened one, but if you want something specific that's a crapshoot at best. If it helps, that's something to consider for more functional items (like storage bras depending on your girl's cup size or transit shoes/gloves to protect the periphery during movement/setup, or even soft coats or sheets to protect the surface paint while rolling her around to get her into position), but to each their own.

Heads up, I have a vague inkling that even boltless standing feet can get thrashed after too many stands. Not sure what your plans are for that, but minimizing the amount of standing she'll be doing may be a good idea for long-term care.

And yeah, washing the items repeatedly until your sacrificial socks no longer pick up color would be best to minimize the staining she'll get.

Perhaps in the meantime it might not be a bad idea to try and mentally prepare for some inevitable wear and tear? I was soo bummed the first time I saw the paint rubbing off on mine, seeing minor wounds in the feet due to rookie mistakes maneuvering her, etc. As much as I hate to admit it, they don't stay perfect forever.

But with a bit of love, care, and planning, we can help make their lives as happy as possible. :glou:
My Irontech "Vina": viewtopic.php?t=166197

Mikesdk

Post by Mikesdk »

NJ_dollyparton wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:51 am Heads up, I have a vague inkling that even boltless standing feet can get thrashed after too many stands. Not sure what your plans are for that, but minimizing the amount of standing she'll be doing may be a good idea for long-term care.

And yeah, washing the items repeatedly until your sacrificial socks no longer pick up color would be best to minimize the staining she'll get.

Perhaps in the meantime it might not be a bad idea to try and mentally prepare for some inevitable wear and tear? I was soo bummed the first time I saw the paint rubbing off on mine, seeing minor wounds in the feet due to rookie mistakes maneuvering her, etc. As much as I hate to admit it, they don't stay perfect forever.

But with a bit of love, care, and planning, we can help make their lives as happy as possible. :glou:
Yeah i have heard that even standing feets without bolts cant really stand forever, but hope they will be able to stand for an hour or so atleast for each photo session, and i plan to hang her up in a closet when not in use with close to no presure to feets with a pillow below them as well.

Ill end up with about 200 pairs of pink shocks by the time iam done 8O but better socks then doll, i heard you can soak new clothes in half water half vinegar for an hour to help color bleeds and then a machine wash after, ill be testing that later to day....

I know no matter how carefull you are, shit just happens to pretty much everyone, one brain fart and an arm hits the door frame or something.... but ill do my very best to avoid it like everyone else, but fully expect to make mistakes and ill deal with it when it happens :?
Zelex Scarlett/Astra inspiration 170 viewtopic.php?t=163243

RevJack
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by RevJack »

Washing is vinegar is BS. Old wives tail.

Look up a product named "Retayne" it's made by G&K Craft Industries. It does not "fix" the dye, nothing can do that post processing, but it does rinse out all the unfixed dye. Follow the instructions.
Reverend Jacks Roamin' Cadillac Sex Doll Repair. Roamin' the land fixin' dollies and handing out salvation from the back of his Cadillac.

ALSO TRY Reverend Jack's Anointed Snake Oil, good for cleansing stains from the body and the Soul! Step right up folks, only $5 a bottle! We got plenty to go around! Cash only please.

Aibei 158 Blue Elf, AS 157, XES 128, OR 156G, WM 160C (r), Sanhui 168 (r), WM 157B, WM 138D (Faun), Mistress 168 (r), 6YE 100 (Bubbles)

NJ_dollyparton

Post by NJ_dollyparton »

So for what it's worth, I'd been checking since my staining post, and it seems like her legs have cleared up. There is still a noticeable "band" at the top of her left thigh irl but not in the picture (it kinda is on the pictureside left leg if you squint), but it's no longer clearly dark. It seems more matte than the leg itself, so perhaps its whatever clear coat that Irontech uses rubbing off. Her legs are also noticeably darker, but that might be because I play too much with her upper thighs; the paint is clearly rubbing off there but is more intact where it is underneath the stockings she normally wears.

Between the first picture and this one, she was wearing white stockings and also had a wipedown with a damp facial towel and water without anything else.

So, paint notwithstanding, silicone's resiliency seems to be proving itself for me at least.

Also, I'll see about getting some Retayne, RevJack. I saw you mention it in another thread, and if one wash with it is as effective (or more) than 8+ handwashes, that'll save me a bit of time and money.

Mikesdk

Post by Mikesdk »

RevJack wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:24 pm Washing is vinegar is BS. Old wives tail.

Look up a product named "Retayne" it's made by G&K Craft Industries. It does not "fix" the dye, nothing can do that post processing, but it does rinse out all the unfixed dye. Follow the instructions.
Yep your right did not work what so ever, tried 50/50 vinigar/water for an hour, then a machine wash, then a machine was with a white sock and got yet another pink sock back, wont be running low on pink socks hah :)

Ill look into that Retayne right away.

Mikesdk

Post by Mikesdk »

Found Retayne on Amazone and bought a bottle :)

Puffdragon420
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Puffdragon420 »

newguy22 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:41 pm Hi, I am new to TDF and have been learning a lot about dolls and look forward to my first purchase soon. I am also curious, does the material of the clothing matter? For example, cotton vs spandex vs polyester, does one cause staining more than others? Thanks!
I was wondering the same thing... just bought my 1st and am getting a wardrobe put together while i wait for her to arrive. Lots of whites, grey, and nude colors in the basket now, but still searching for material recommendations.

just a guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by just a guy »

what colors are ok other than white ? And is white 100% sure there is no color bleeding ?
How about light pink and grey, light brown lingerie ?

I assume colors like black, dark / bright red, blue, green, yellow and such are off the table ?

Also how about the fabric it self ?
What types of fabric stains and what not ?
Review of my Vanessa BBW Torso Doll - viewtopic.php?t=177349
Review of my Monica Hentai Torso Doll - viewtopic.php?t=169345
Review of my Elsa Babe 160cm L-cup - viewtopic.php?t=172708

Best way to clean a doll
Best way to dry a doll
Where to buy doll clothes
After honeymoon

RevJack
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by RevJack »

All fabric types can stain, and all colors can stain. The key is the dye being locked to the fabric and the free dye being washed away.
No dye, no stain, so white has no dye and therefore does not stain.

Retayne, as mentioned above is the closest thing I have discovered to a solution.

Reverend Jack
Reverend Jacks Roamin' Cadillac Sex Doll Repair. Roamin' the land fixin' dollies and handing out salvation from the back of his Cadillac.

ALSO TRY Reverend Jack's Anointed Snake Oil, good for cleansing stains from the body and the Soul! Step right up folks, only $5 a bottle! We got plenty to go around! Cash only please.

Aibei 158 Blue Elf, AS 157, XES 128, OR 156G, WM 160C (r), Sanhui 168 (r), WM 157B, WM 138D (Faun), Mistress 168 (r), 6YE 100 (Bubbles)

NJ_dollyparton

Post by NJ_dollyparton »

So as mentioned in my doll's thread (see sig) and a few other places, I think I found something Retayne may not work on: wet-look clothing.

My experience is with this item: https://www.amazon.com/Vimoisa-Metallic ... to_dp&th=1

What leads me to think this is after recommending Retayne to a soon-to-be doll owner, he posted the labeling on Retayne which I will copy/paste here (bold for emphasis):

Use this product to 'fix' dyes in commercially purchased solid colored cotton fabrics or clothing to prevent color bleeding during washing. Also use to add washfastness to your own dyeing. Particularly valuable to quilters. Soak fabrics in Retayne before washing them for the first time. Use one teaspoon per yard of fabric in a HOT (at least 140º F) soak for 20-30 minutes, with enough water to cover the fabric, then wash in hot water and Synthrapol to get out any remaining, unfixed dye. If you don't do this last step with the Synthrapol, then only wash in cool water rinse and cool water for the life of the fabric. You do risk some fading when using the Synthrapol and hot water, as it will remove any remaining "fugitive" dye
Further info: Retayne and Dharma Dye Fixative act to swell and positively "charge" dye molecules to improve adherence to fabric. Effective with Fiber Reactive, "All Purpose" dyes, Direct Dyes and some other dyes. Does NOT work on "Basic" dyes, such as Jacquard's Basic Dyes. According to some, the penalty can be some reduced lightfastness.

So long story-short, I tried the hood on my silicone girl for about 5 minutes pre-Retayne, and the edge of the hood stained an... interesting pattern on my girl's neck.

It basically came off in about 24 hours because silicone (also added baby powder). Also to be fair the hood was damp after the initial wash, so that wasn't the best decision I ever made. After sending the same hood through a Retayne treatment per the above instructions (except for Synthrapol) I did another test exposure on her foot and had a similar result. I exposed the foot to about 40 minutes of duration while dry.

I'm not anticipating any lasting staining, but I was a bit disappointed in this case. I did also get a wet-look sling bikini also that I haven't had her try yet but suspect it'd act similarly.

At this point, I'm not sure whether it's just a matter of "wash the crap out of it" or return them, so I don't have to risk it.

A preliminary search makes me wonder if this is a "basic dye" that's utilized since basic dyes tend to be used for brilliant/vibrant colors which these definitely seem to be. It doesn't adhere to cotton particularly well but can be used on nylon/plastic threading fine (based entirely off one fashion blogger's webpage, so take this info with a grain of salt). Since both are cheap products bought off Amazon, I'm not terribly surprised by the result, but something to keep in mind for anyone who may stumble across this thread.

Thinking about it, because I looked for these items specifically for their looks, I might try the "wash the crap out of them" approach and see how that goes. Now whether to sink $100 on an Irontech test block is a different question entirely. :drinking:

RevJack
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by RevJack »

Some dyes will dissolve in silicone oil and/or mineral oil. Some dyes never fully adhere to some fabrics. Those clothing items get donated to the Salvation Army.

For "iffy" clothing I put a lovely cotton slip under it.
We're never going to achieve perfection.

(I'm glad you caught the staining early and it all faded out.)

Reverend Jack

NJ_dollyparton

Post by NJ_dollyparton »

RevJack wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:20 am Some dyes will dissolve in silicone oil and/or mineral oil. Some dyes never fully adhere to some fabrics. Those clothing items get donated to the Salvation Army.

For "iffy" clothing I put a lovely cotton slip under it.
We're never going to achieve perfection.

(I'm glad you caught the staining early and it all faded out.)

Reverend Jack
Me as well. Thank you for your response!

K-Fi
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by K-Fi »

Hi,

I've been reading a lot about stains from clothes etc., on these forums while waiting for my 176 cm silicone male. I never would have thought of all the things to consider without the advice here!

I've understood that silicone dolls do not stain as easily as TPE dolls. To be extra careful, I've got some white form fitting long-sleeve shirts and gym leggings (Under Armour), in case I dress the doll in darker colours.

All clothing will be thoroughly pre-washed in a white bucket. I also got Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative (ritdye.com) for extra protection against colour bleeding.

As a silicone doll newbie, I really appreciate all the information here!

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

I bought a wig for my girl and later dark patches started appearing on the top of her head- the damn wig has a black under side even though the wig was more a blondy-brown color. Got a light head cap and put that on her bald head first, which stops the black coming through.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

INFORMATIONS