Starpery.com

Powder research

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Powder research

Post by Lemminkainen »

Good question. I have two suggestions right off the bat.

If you wish to keep on using the cocoa powder cornstarch blended, which I did with Kylie for the 'fashion' shoot (worked like a charm by the way), then I would recommend a powder puff of some type to pat the powder on instead of brushing. That should dramatically decrease abrasion on application. To clean it off, I would recommend a bath or shower instead of wiping with a sponge or washcloth. That should significantly decrease abrasion upon removal.

Another product that you may wish to consider using is a matching color of Bare Minerals. It's a very very fine powder that is brushed on.
http://www.mineral-makeup-reviews.com/b ... ients.html
Bare minerals ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide is widely used in cosmetics and skin care for its thickening and whitening properties. It provides a physical sunscreen and provides UVA and UVB protection. (Titanium dioxide also makes Oreo cookies frosting extra-white and is the 'M' on M&M's candy.)
Zinc Oxide is also a physical sunscreen with UVA and UVB protection. It provides thickening and water resistance. Is known to be “calming” to the skin and will reduce irritation and promote healing. (It is in Desitin ointment for diaper rash and calamine lotion.)
Bismuth Oxychloride is a pearlescent mineral that provides the “glow” and causes problems for some users (See Bismuth in Mineral Makeup)
Mica is a sheer, translucent and skin-hugging mineral. Reflects light from the face, creating an illusion of a smoother, softer and more radiant skin tone.
Iron Oxides provide the color to the foundation.

I just tried some of it on Kylli. I'm going to leave it on for a little while to see if it stains or not. I suspect it won't, but the experiment is on. You will soon know the results. :thumbs_up:

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

Lemminkainen wrote: ...I just tried some of it on Kylli. I'm going to leave it on for a little while to see if it stains or not. I suspect it won't, but the experiment is on. You will soon know the results. :thumbs_up:
Bare Minerals: It was on for most of the day, came off clean with minimal effort with a soapy wet sponge, and no staining present at all.

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

I don't wish to use cocoa powder. In fact I don't use powder at all because I cannot find anything that I could safely put on that would match Sharon's 'tanned' skin tone. Is human facial powder safe for coated silicone? I don't want to risk her to start peeling.
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

Slew
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Slew »

Szalinski wrote:I don't wish to use cocoa powder. In fact I don't use powder at all because I cannot find anything that I could safely put on that would match Sharon's 'tanned' skin tone. Is human facial powder safe for coated silicone? I don't want to risk her to start peeling.
Hey Szalinski, what about wheat flour? I know it's still probably lighter than Sharon's skin tone, but it might not leave the splotches.. Also, there is a product I'm looking into called Honey Dust, froma company called Kama-Sutra. They have a Chocolate Caress flavour, perhaps it's darker? I have inquired about the ingredients, and await a reply..

And Lemm, I know you posted in "Doll Care Tips" about Honey Dust honeysuckle powder. I think you tried it on Kylli? Anything to report? Like abrasiveness, or wears off too soon? Once Kama Sutra replies, I'll post the ingredients here.

:glou:

Joe Bin
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe Bin »

Szalinski wrote:I don't wish to use cocoa powder. In fact I don't use powder at all because I cannot find anything that I could safely put on that would match Sharon's 'tanned' skin tone. Is human facial powder safe for coated silicone? I don't want to risk her to start peeling.
I remember reading somewhere that Maidlee recommends powder facial make up on there latex dolls, but I don't know how it would work on silicone.

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

You're caution to put just any makeup on Sharon makes sense to me. She is an RD, right ? So if I were you I would email abyss and ask them point blank. I'm sure they have experience with all sorts of makeup on their dolls, ergo they would have an authoritative answer for you. Their customer service is really good, so I'm sure that you'll get an answer back probably within a day.
Seattle Slew wrote: ... you posted in "Doll Care Tips" about Honey Dust honeysuckle powder. I think you tried it on Kylli? Anything to report? Like abrasiveness, or wears off too soon? Once Kama Sutra replies, I'll post the ingredients here. Slew
Thank you Slew. It's my personal favorite for scent and flavor as a partners accoutrement :mrgreen: . Since this topic is all about powders, please allow me to show you the goods... :oops: erm, I mean this product!
kama sutra Honey dust.png
kama sutra Honey dust.png (836.51 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
inside the can is a "feather duster" and a black satin bag that is cinched shut. The black bag contains 8 ounces of the Honey dust powder. (Go figure)
The report: senses - after dusting on a small amount, it makes her wonderfully smooth to the touch and smelling like a bouquet of sweet wildflowers. There is a visually noticeable powdery lightness to the color of Kylli that is created by the application of this powder. It is a light-colored dust and so that is exactly what you can see on her. After kissing her, I experienced a wonderful light sweetness, without any aftertaste.
Abrasion: I don't know. :| ... Kylli has only been powdered maybe four or five times since I got her. That's probably not enough times to make any type of visual difference to the naked eye.
I don't believe that there is really enough conclusive data on powder being the abrasive material or factor. Talcum powder sits at a signature zero on the Mohs scale of hardness. According to one physician who I quoted in the opening post, "cornstarch is coarser" than talc. Okay, but they don't say by how much, or why, or how. I haven't found any evidence of just how rough the different powders are in comparison to each other. I would love to have the time, money, equipment and environment to research and evaluate doll powder mediums. (I'm totally geeking-out in my mind thinking about that :D ) What I do theorize is that it is the frequency, mode and characteristics of application of the powder medium which creates the abrasion, and not the powder. In my humble opinion it is the powder (the typical types for powdering dolls) which acts as a protectant to the abrasion being created by the friction of the gloved or un-gloved hand, brush, duster or other appliance. I don't know, and I don't think that anybody knows exactly for sure, but thank you for bringing up this excellent question. :thumbs_up:
Please do post the ingredients once you get them. Thank you. :)
Joe Bin wrote: I remember reading somewhere that Maidlee recommends powder facial make up on there latex dolls, but I don't know how it would work on silicone.
The Bare Minerals powder makeup that I tested on Kylli appeared to have no ill effect on her whatsoever. Although, Kylli and Sharon may have numerous differences in materials and manufacture process, it was not harmful to Kylli. That is all I can say.

Good deal everybody , "Inquiring minds want to know!". :glou:

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

Seattle Slew wrote:...Also, there is a product I'm looking into called Honey Dust, froma company called Kama-Sutra. They have a Chocolate Caress flavour, perhaps it's darker? I have inquired about the ingredients, and await a reply.. Once Kama Sutra replies, I'll post the ingredients here.
Hi Slew, I don't mean to step on your toes, because as above you said that you are waiting for Kama Sutra to get back with the ingredient list. I have the ingredients for the honeysuckle honey dust right here. I imagine you could go online to get the ingredients for the chocolate caress flavor. Please post that information here once you get it or look it up.

Honeysuckle honey dust: cornstarch, modified glucose, Zea Mays (cornstarch), honey, silica, honey extract, sodium saccharine, fragrance, sodium benzoate, Amyl cinnamal, benzyl alcohol, Eugenol, hydroxy citronellol, benzyl salicylate, Geraniol, linalool, citronellol, benzyl benzoate.

I'm glad you brought this up slew. It looks like I have some more research to do before I put any more of this on Kylli. I don't know what half of this shit is... :|

Slew
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Slew »

Lemminkainen wrote: Hi Slew, I don't mean to step on your toes, because as above you said that you are waiting for Kama Sutra to get back with the ingredient list. I have the ingredients for the honeysuckle honey dust right here. I imagine you could go online to get the ingredients for the chocolate caress flavor. Please post that information here once you get it or look it up.
Sorry Lemm, I kind of lost track of this thread. Yeah, they never got back to me... Originally, I filled out the Customer Inquiry. After 5 days with no reply, I sent an email, so that was 11 days ago, or so.. Completely lame customer service. Thank you, I should've realized if you had the can, I could ask you what the ingredients are.
Lemminkainen wrote:Honeysuckle honey dust: cornstarch, modified glucose, Zea Mays (cornstarch), honey, silica, honey extract, sodium saccharine, fragrance, sodium benzoate, Amyl cinnamal, benzyl alcohol, Eugenol, hydroxy citronellol, benzyl salicylate, Geraniol, linalool, citronellol, benzyl benzoate.

I'm glad you brought this up slew. It looks like I have some more research to do before I put any more of this on Kylli. I don't know what half of this shit is... :|
Cripes! Amyl cinnamal? :? I think I'll stick to cornstarch, I am not into doing so much research..

:drinking:

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

Kama Sutra honey Dust.
Caution: If you have perfume or cosmetic allergies, be advised that you may suffer adverse effects upon exposure/use to this product.

Resources ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page , http://www.truthinaging.com/ingredients/

Without the (cornstarch, modified glucose, Zea Mays (cornstarch), honey, honey extract) - self explanatory ingredients.

silica : Silicon dioxide, also known as silica (from the Latin silex), is a chemical compound that is an oxide of silicon with the chemical formula SiO2. It has been known since ancient times. Silica is most commonly found in nature as quartz, as well as in various living organisms, Silica is one of the most complex and most abundant families of materials, existing both as several minerals and being produced synthetically. Notable examples include fused quartz, crystal, fumed silica, silica gel, and aerogels. Applications range from structural materials to microelectronics to components used in the food industry. Silica is a common additive in the production of foods, where it is used primarily as a flow agent in powdered foods, or to absorb water in hygroscopic applications. It is the primary component of diatomaceous earth. Colloidal silica is also used as a wine, beer, and juice fining agent.

sodium saccharine: Saccharin[2] is an artificial sweetener with effectively no food energy which is approximately 300 times as sweet as sucrose or table sugar, but has a bitter or metallic aftertaste, especially at high concentrations. It is used to sweeten products such as drinks, candies, cookies, medicines, and toothpaste.

sodium benzoate: Sodium benzoate has the chemical formula NaC7H5O2; it is a widely used food preservative, with E number E211. It is the sodium salt of benzoic acid and exists in this form when dissolved in water. It can be produced by reacting sodium hydroxide with benzoic acid. Benzoic acid occurs naturally at low levels in cranberries, prunes, greengage plums, cinnamon, ripe cloves, and apples.

Amyl cinnamal: An aldehyde, in the form of a pale liquid. Usually manufactured into synthetic form, though it does occur naturally in plants. Also known as alpha-amyl cinnamic aldehyde.
A perfume ingredient whose main function is to add fragrance to a product. It has a floral scent reminiscent of jasmine. Used in bath products, shampoos, and various body & hand products.

benzyl alcohol: Benzyl alcohol is an aromatic alcohol with the formula C6H5CH2OH. The benzyl group is often abbreviated "Bn" (not to be confused with "Bz" which is used for benzoyl), thus benzyl alcohol is denoted as BnOH. Benzyl alcohol is a colorless liquid with a mild pleasant aromatic odor. It is a useful solvent due to its polarity, low toxicity, and low vapor pressure. Benzyl alcohol is partially soluble in water (4 g/100 mL) and completely miscible in alcohols and diethyl ether. Benzyl alcohol is produced naturally by many plants and is commonly found in fruits and teas. It is also found in a variety of essential oils including jasmine, hyacinth, and ylang-ylang.[2]

Eugenol: Eugenol /juːɡɛnɒl/ is a phenylpropene, an allyl chain-substituted guaiacol. Eugenol is a member of the phenylpropanoids class of chemical compounds. It is a clear to pale yellow oily liquid extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, basil and bay leaf.[1][2][3][4] It is present in concentrations of 80–90% in clove bud oil and at 82–88% in clove leaf oil.[5]

hydroxy citronellol: Hydroxycitronellal is a perfume ingredient with a medium strength floral scent, reminiscent of lily and sweet tropical melon. It is found widely as a chief constituent in essential oils including ilang-ilang oil, palmarosa oil, geranium oil, orange flower oil, lemongrass oil, hops oil, and lavender oil (Source). Citral and Geraniol are two main components of Hydroxycitronellal. Citral is used as a raw material in the synthesis ionone, a perfumery and flavoring component used in the production of retinol. Geraniol is a pheromone of certain species of bees, secreted by the scent glands of worker bees to signal the location of nectar-bearing flowers and the entrances to their hives. Geraniol is often used in insect repellent products.

benzyl salicylate: Benzyl salicylate is a salicylic acid benzyl ester, a chemical compound most frequently used in cosmetics. It appears as an almost colorless liquid with a mild odor described as "very faint, sweet-floral, slightly balsamic" by those who can smell it, but many people either can't smell it at all or describe its smell as "musky". Trace impurities can have a significant influence on the odour. It occurs naturally in a variety of plants and plant extracts and is widely used in blends of fragrance materials. There is some evidence that people can become sensitized to this material and as a result there is a restriction standard concerning the use of this material in fragrances by the International Fragrance Association. It is used as a solvent for crystalline synthetic musks and as a component and fixative in floral perfumes such as carnation, jasmine, lilac, and wallflower.

Geraniol; Geraniol is a monoterpenoid and an alcohol. It is the primary part of rose oil, palmarosa oil, and citronella oil (Java type). It also occurs in small quantities in geranium, lemon, and many other essential oils. It appears as a clear to pale-yellow oil that is insoluble in water, but soluble in most common organic solvents. It has a rose-like scent and is commonly used in perfumes. It is used in flavors such as peach, raspberry, grapefruit, red apple, plum, lime, orange, lemon, watermelon, pineapple, and blueberry. Geraniol is a pheromone of certain species of bees, secreted by the scent glands of worker bees to signal the location of nectar-bearing flowers and the entrances to their hives. Geraniol is often used in insect repellent products.

Linalool; Linalool /lɪˈnælɵ.ɒl/ is a naturally occurring terpene alcohol chemical found in many flowers and spice plants with many commercial applications, the majority of which based on its pleasant scent (floral, with a touch of spiciness). Over 200 species of plants produce linalool, mainly from the families Lamiaceae (mints, scented herbs), Lauraceae (laurels, cinnamon, rosewood), and Rutaceae (citrus fruits), but also birch trees and other plants, from tropical to boreal climate zones

Citronellol; Citronellol, or dihydrogeraniol, is a natural acyclic monoterpenoid. Both enantiomers occur in nature. (+)-Citronellol, which is found in citronella oils, including Cymbopogon nardus (50%), is the more common isomer. (−)-Citronellol is found in the oils of rose (18-55%) and Pelargonium geraniums. Citronellol is used in perfumes.

benzyl benzoate: Benzyl benzoate is the organic compound with the formula C6H5CH2O2CC6H5. It is the ester of benzyl alcohol and benzoic acid. It forms either a viscous liquid or solid flakes and has a weak, sweet-balsamic odor. It occurs in a number of blossoms (e. g. tuberose, hyacinth) and is a component of Balsam of Peru and Tolu balsam. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, a list of the most important medication needed in a basic health system.

Okay, so it seems to be a blend of synthetic and natural substances that are for scent and flavor, and at its worst may irritate your skin, if you're allergic to them.

gyxile
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by gyxile »

HI

Im thinking about having a go at making my own skin. When do they apply the powder. is it done while the silicone is still tacky or is it mixed in

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

gyxile wrote:HI, Im thinking about having a go at making my own skin. When do they apply the powder. is it done while the silicone is still tacky or is it mixed in
Some brands of silicone is sticky all the time, and some types are not, according some manufacturers. A good question, and if/when you discover the way to make non-sticky powder smooth platinum cure silicone, will you tell us how it's done? :wink:

Jbt
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Jbt »

I know this is a old thread but it is the 1st to come up when doing a google search and is linked many times in this forum when “ powder “ questions come up.
There are two insights I’d like to add
1) in regard to cornstarch or any other “food starch” I think it’s important to note that food starch is a desirable food source for many types of insects ( especially cockroaches) and maybe even some types of air born yeasts and molds ( think moldy bread ). If one is diligent about the environment in which they powder there doll this fact could be mute, IE bath tub, big bead sheet that you then wash right away, or for some maybe even outside? However if your like me and live in a small apartment, or if you are confined to one room ( bead room) do to personal privacy reasons Then the accumulation over time ( even for the diligent) could attract the undesirables mentioned above. Even if you vacuum, mop, ect cornstarch finds it’s ways into every little corner and over time will accumulate in those hard-to-reach places same type of places that pests like to live.
One possible solution to the above that I have not researched It’s on dolls dips to mix some diatomaceous earth in with the starch. Diatomaceous earth Is hard and abrasive (transparent, opaline silica) but I A extremely fine molecular level, you need a scanning electron microscope to see the abrasive properties of it. It’s in the air we breath, is ( from what I’ve read completely inert safe to eat, it’s added in to some foods, so I doubt it would cause any trouble to the skin of a deal but again I’ve never tested this.

Next up and another thing I’ve yet to test but think I will would be to use tapioca maltodextrin. maltodextrin Is a modified food starch with the unique property that it absorbs oils and stays in a dry powdered lake state. Much more so then any other starch.

-Ragnar66-
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by -Ragnar66- »

Tried initially with standard talcum but figured my skin (more so the "sensible" parts) reacted with some allergies. 8O So got instantly rid of it, washed my toys intensively and used corn starch since then. Yet just on certain body parts, not all powdered up. I´m fairly fine with my dolls skin even if slightly sticky (I do baby oil and vaseline maintenance on a frequent basis). Just if I read talcum is compared with asbestos, I get more like just uneasy feeling....

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

-Ragnar66- wrote:Tried initially with standard talcum but figured my skin (more so the "sensible" parts) reacted with some allergies. 8O So got instantly rid of it, washed my toys intensively and used corn starch since then. Yet just on certain body parts, not all powdered up. I´m fairly fine with my dolls skin even if slightly sticky (I do baby oil and vaseline maintenance on a frequent basis). Just if I read talcum is compared with asbestos, I get more like just uneasy feeling....
The asbestos claims were purely North America based. Never even made the news here in the UK/Euro. Also, this was also primarily linked to cancer within females, not males. A sper usual, the amount of media misinformation around (and on here also) is astounding.

You will be fine with talc/baby powder...unless your throwing half a bottle around your room with no ventilation (bit then neither would cornstarch be healthy either lol) ;)

-Ragnar66-
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by -Ragnar66- »

Maviarab wrote:
-Ragnar66- wrote:Tried initially with standard talcum but figured my skin (more so the "sensible" parts) reacted with some allergies. 8O So got instantly rid of it, washed my toys intensively and used corn starch since then. Yet just on certain body parts, not all powdered up. I´m fairly fine with my dolls skin even if slightly sticky (I do baby oil and vaseline maintenance on a frequent basis). Just if I read talcum is compared with asbestos, I get more like just uneasy feeling....
The asbestos claims were purely North America based. Never even made the news here in the UK/Euro. Also, this was also primarily linked to cancer within females, not males. A sper usual, the amount of media misinformation around (and on here also) is astounding.

You will be fine with talc/baby powder...unless your throwing half a bottle around your room with no ventilation (bit then neither would cornstarch be healthy either lol) ;)
still got quite an uncomfortable skin allergy from it. Went away as soon as I changed to corn starch. Need to mention I had the talcum on previous TPE toys (Meiki, PDX butt) only, but not on my doll. I won´t experiment with my health in any case. :)

INFORMATIONS