Starpery.com

Creaks in certain part of the joint when moving the limbs.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Dolllover2019

Creaks in certain part of the joint when moving the limbs.

Post by Dolllover2019 »

Hi, so my WM is brand new, although it did take a slight fall.

I noticed that all the joint move smoothly and with no sound except for the left leg where the major thigh joint attaches to the torso. It makes a creaking sound and a very slight friction can be felt when I move that one leg up and down.
I am assuming this is typical for any doll? They can't always be 100% perfect?
Or is this may be a sign to a larger issue down the road. Thanks.

DL

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Creaks in certain part of the joint when moving the limb

Post by Maviarab »

How tight is that particular joint? Is it fairly stiff compared to the others?

Dolllover2019

Post by Dolllover2019 »

Yea its slightly tighter to move than the other leg, and the sound is pretty pronounced, like its and old creaking sound from an old piece of equipment.
Maviarab wrote:How tight is that particular joint? Is it fairly stiff compared to the others?

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Dolllover2019 wrote:Hi, so my WM is brand new, although it did take a slight fall.

I noticed that all the joint move smoothly and with no sound except for the left leg where the major thigh joint attaches to the torso. It makes a creaking sound and a very slight friction can be felt when I move that one leg up and down.

DL
I had the same issue when my doll was new. They will free up over time. It doesn't sound so nice though does it?

Do not force anything, just get to know the movements and the limits of dolls joints.

Logic may determine they torque the joints tight before molding so that there is no movement of them during the molding. I'm only guessing of course, but it sort of makes sense. The gauze cloth around the joints prevent material from entering the joints too. Otherwise it may not move so well :)

One hip joint on mine came very loose. It did not feel broken, so that is good. I was able to open her up and torque the joint back up. and she was back in business. (19mm nut size is used on my doll hip joints)

Unwritten
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Unwritten »

Dolllover2019 wrote:Yea its slightly tighter to move than the other leg, and the sound is pretty pronounced, like its and old creaking sound from an old piece of equipment.
Maviarab wrote:How tight is that particular joint? Is it fairly stiff compared to the others?
I had the same thing in Jensen's left leg. It has stopped as they have loosened up a bit. Took about 2 months to stop, but I think Jen gets moved around more than your little sleeping beauty. :D

Booty Call Dolls
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Booty Call Dolls »

One sound, the entire motion, right?
No clicking at different points, right?
http://dolldesire.com/
. One vendor name kept coming up as being great at helping customers walk through the process, Booty Call Dolls. So I decided I would work with them on this first purchase, and did.
-princeoverit
You could not of found a better person to help you with your first doll. Jeff /Booty call dolls, knows his stuff... One of the few members that is a vendor and a real lover of dolls. He owns quite a few dolls, and really understands the love we all share.
-Just in time

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Dollarhyde »

Every doll has some over tightened joints somewhere in their bods. Unfortunately, I do not believe you have a guy going around with torq specs and torquing every bolt to that spec. I am thinking it's more by feel and then they are off to the next frame build.

The good news is that they will loosen up over time with use. As long as you do not have to use a lot of force to twist or bend you should be fine and yes, at times you will get creaking but that's just normal with dolls. Even one of my silicone dolls does that when I lift her right arm.
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

Dolllover2019

Post by Dolllover2019 »

Booty Call Dolls wrote:One sound, the entire motion, right?
No clicking at different points, right?

yea just one sound left thigh, its no big deal just sounds and feels tight. No other areas makes any sounds and moves very smooothly

Dolllover2019

Post by Dolllover2019 »

Had to open her up? damn haha sounds like major surgery.
RGC_0767 wrote:
Dolllover2019 wrote:Hi, so my WM is brand new, although it did take a slight fall.

DL
I had the same issue when my doll was new. They will free up over time. It doesn't sound so nice though does it?

Do not force anything, just get to know the movements and the limits of dolls joints.

Logic may determine they torque the joints tight before molding so that there is no movement of them during the molding. I'm only guessing of course, but it sort of makes sense. The gauze cloth around the joints prevent material from entering the joints too. Otherwise it may not move so well :)

One hip joint on mine came very loose. It did not feel broken, so that is good. I was able to open her up and torque the joint back up. and she was back in business. (19mm nut size is used on my doll hip joints)

katiesBoyfriend
Doll Elder
Doll Elder
Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

Post by katiesBoyfriend »

As I mentioned in:

viewtopic.php?f=163&t=115078

my 4Woods made grinding noises when I moved her. It wasn't until I opened her back that I found out that the tee connecting the shoulders to the spine was broken. I went back in again two days ago and found that the tee is in 3 main pieces. The noises were caused by those pieces rubbing together.

I decided to replace it. It's a messy job.
"A man has to be what he is, Joey. Can't break the mould. I tried it and it didn't work for me." Alan Ladd, Shane
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." Harlan Ellison
"Dad says that anyone who can't use a slide rule is a cultural illiterate and should not be allowed to vote. Mine is a beauty--a K&E 20-inch Log-log Duplex Decitrig." Robert Heinlein

-Ragnar66-
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by -Ragnar66- »

have the creak in dolls left leg (hip-thigh joint) but not the right one. Both move fairly equal nonetheless and I have little concerns about possible damage here. One somewhat loose knee joint makes me more concerns as it hinders standing poses a bit.

dwaynel2

Post by dwaynel2 »

-Ragnar66- wrote:have the creak in dolls left leg (hip-thigh joint) but not the right one. Both move fairly equal nonetheless and I have little concerns about possible damage here. One somewhat loose knee joint makes me more concerns as it hinders standing poses a bit.

Same here. 18 months in and nothing has broken.

-Ragnar66-
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by -Ragnar66- »

dwaynel2 wrote:
-Ragnar66- wrote:have the creak in dolls left leg (hip-thigh joint) but not the right one. Both move fairly equal nonetheless and I have little concerns about possible damage here. One somewhat loose knee joint makes me more concerns as it hinders standing poses a bit.

Same here. 18 months in and nothing has broken.
think bits of creaking on rather stiff joints is not to be avoided oftentimes. Even if greased well.

Koki

Post by Koki »

My Piper 130 creaks a bit when adjusted in the left leg at hip which is notably tighter / stiffer than the right leg. The momentary creak doesn't bother me, but the tightness does it's little too much in an absolute sense, had to get a bit forceful on the thigh once. Hopefully it loosens up with time it's basically brand new. Though I've figured out how to observe the state of rotations by bending arms/legs at the elbows/knees when it suddenly seems stubbornly stuck.

Dolllover2019

Post by Dolllover2019 »

Yea left leg at the hip too. Its not so much the sound, but the tightness thats a bit of an annoyance, considering every other limb moves very smoothly.
Koki wrote:My Piper 130 creaks a bit when adjusted in the left leg at hip which is notably tighter / stiffer than the right leg. The momentary creak doesn't bother me, but the tightness does it's little too much in an absolute sense, had to get a bit forceful on the thigh once. Hopefully it loosens up with time it's basically brand new. Though I've figured out how to observe the state of rotations by bending arms/legs at the elbows/knees when it suddenly seems stubbornly stuck.

INFORMATIONS